Suspension Setup Suggestions for 1973 Z-28 Camaro

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jtscollect, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jtscollect

jtscollect Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Good Afternoon:

I am going to be in the planning stages in early 2010 regarding suspension setup for our 1973 Z-28 Camaro.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions.

Several things we would like to accomplish with a suspension upgrade/change:
    1. Improve overall ride
    2. Improve cornering capabilities
    3. Have a profile with car slightly higher in the rear than in the front (subtle)

Currently, we have 17x7 wheels with 225/17/45s in the front and 17x8 wheels with 255/17/45s in the rear. Will probably change to 245/17/45 in the front and 17x9.5 wheels with 285 or 295/17/40 in the rear (not sure on the rear tire size yet).

The car will be used for street/strip, but mainly street use.

Thanks for your help.

Jim T
    “Red Bomber”

2. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    go with the hotchkis TVS system all around. if you are looking for a stock style setup. or go with coilover fronts and a torque arm setup in the rear.

Mike

3. jtscollect

Apr 24, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Quick Reply

Good Evening Mike:

Thanks for your input.

Jim T

4. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2004
    IL
    I think in order to actually finish a project it is a good idea to also set a budget, things can get out of control fast, tire choices are good, I would stay away from hybrid coil over kit and use a std. spring and shock, miles ahead dollar wise and proven combination, paying attention to the chassis is also very important, frame connectors and solid body bushings are one of the first things to do.

5. jtscollect

Apr 24, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Quick Reply

Thanks 79T/Aman.

Yes, we are keeping the car basically stock looking and do not want to get out of control on upgrades. My wife is a CPA and CFP, so she'll keep on my butt in that regard!

This will not be a $50K or above car.

We plan on building another muscle car in a few years, so we want to make them enjoyable drivers, not show cars.

Jim T

6. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Go to Dave's (79T/Aman) site and look at one of his complete front end rebuild kits. It will be a good start, and in combination with the correct rear springs and shocks, will offer just what you are looking for. give Dave a call and he will be glad to give you all the help you need. good luck.

www.pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html