T56 adaptor plate from the gear box?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by skullcrusher73, Jan 21, 2012.

1. skullcrusher73

skullcrusher73 Member

Apr 1, 2007
    waco,tx
    Has anyone used this when doing a conversion? The adaptor plate has a muncie bearing retainer. How do you remove the T56 bearing retainer ? Or are suppose to?
    Can anyone tell me the correct way to install the adaptor plate? Thanks for your help!

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    It works great, I did use one last year. You bolt the plate to the bellhousing with the supplied bolts the just bolt the trans up. The retainer stays on the adapter plate. Make sure you do 2 things, Get the extended pilot bushing and No.2 take 2 3" bolts and cut the heads off and then cut in some straight slots so after you get the trans in you can simply trun them back out. The reason for doing this is because as I found out that the T-56 is heavy almost Turbo 400 heavy. once you get the input into the clutch after it's lined up having the blots to slide the trans on makes it real easy.

3. skullcrusher73

skullcrusher73 Member

Apr 1, 2007
    waco,tx
    You dont have to remove the t56 bearing retainer?

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    What you think might be a retainer is accually the TO bearing. Just unbolt everything off the front of the trans untill all you see is the input shaft so it looks like this and you are ready to bolt the trans up.

[​IMG]

5. skullcrusher73

skullcrusher73 Member

Apr 1, 2007
    waco,tx
    Thank you for the help man! I know what to do now.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    You are very welcome, When I first looked at doing mine I thought it would be hard to do but it turned out to be pretty easy other than I had to take my tranny out 3 times due to problems with the first one. If you are doing a second gen you may have to cut the floor to make it fit. On my 1st gen there was plenty of room.:bowtie:

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

8. skullcrusher73

skullcrusher73 Member

Apr 1, 2007
    waco,tx
    I got everything set up and had a major set back . When I traded for this T56 I was told that it was a 98 or later tranny. It looked so clean I took the guys word for it. After installing the adaptor plate I realized the input shaft was to short. So now Im in the market for a 98 or later input shaft. The Gearbox is backordering theres currently . If you know where I can find one let me know.

Thanks for insight and the pics!

9. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2011
    forsyth,ga
    Go to LS1tech.com. I saw a couple T56 s that are being parted out in the classifieds section. Good Luck !

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

call bob hanlon at www.hanlonmotorsports.com