Taking off teflon tape

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by bourbon_scotch, Oct 31, 2016.

1. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    Yes this seems stupid but i've actually gone to my toolbox and gotten a small screwdriver to get into the threads and get the tape off. What should you do instead? Get any kind of sticky tape and wrap around it.

2. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Wire wheel on the bench grinder

Kamikaze likes this.
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Small screwdriver or awl is what I would use.
    It's not like it's actually bonded to the metal.

4. flint9

flint9 Member

Jun 6, 2016
    st louis mo
    wire brush or wire wheel works best.its what we use at work.

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Air compressor works great, hit the threads wirh high pressure air and it rips it and you can wipe it off with out maring threads.

6. bourbon_scotch

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    no... i'm actually saying try using masking or electrical or whatever kind of tape to grab on to it and it comes right off, that is if its not full of oil

7. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I think using tape might be difficult as the teflon tape forms itself to the threads. Regular tape won't form like the teflon will. Won't hurt to try it though.

8. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    Just food for thought, In the industrial world(my jobs) Teflon tape is NEVER to be used on cast iron or aluminum. You have no "feel' as to how tight you are getting it and will crack the cast in most instances because the pipe threads are tapered. Also if you use it on instrument fittings make sure you don't wrap the first thread because it will wreak havoc with gauges, meters etc.

9. bourbon_scotch

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    ya... i'm not saying to use other tape in place of teflon tape i'm saying if you ever need to take the teflon off the threads. Wow why did i even post this.

10. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I get it, and I thought the question was worth a shot, as I was following this thread. I meant that if you have telfon tape on a male thread, and want to get it off by using some other type of tape, the tape might not grab that well because the teflon tape would be into the threads better than any other type of tape, and may not "grab" the telfon enough to pull it off. I have never tried it myslef, as I also pick out the teflon which is a PITA.

BTW...it looks like Dave Mustaine behind that guitar in your avatar....Rust in Peace is my fav. album by Megadeth.