TCS Solenoid & Vacuum Lines

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Airborne, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Airborne

Airborne Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2011
    FT Bragg, NC
    As the interior is being done on my car I wanted to tighten up some issues I found while inspecting it. I noticed that there is another port on my carb that is plugged with a cap. When I went through the assembly manual to match everything up I found what was missing.
    The assembly manual calls it the SOL-Spark Cont. I am assuming this is a fancy way of saying TCS. Now I have found the TCS and Vacuum line set at camaro central. http://www.camarocentral.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TRA-1029&CartID=3
    What I am looking for is confirmation that this is the one I need. I am a bit concerned as it says it is bolted to the carb but the assembly manual clearly shows it bolted on the block by the passenger side valve cover. If this is not the one then where can I find it?
    I found where they cut the electrical plug near the firewall and I will fix that. Is there anything else I should be thinking of? Pics of what right looks like would help. Thanks in advance!

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto
    Here's the location from my 70 Z28. The number of vacuum lines may differ on the 396.
    It bolts to the intake with a bolt that has threads at both ends. The upper threaded portion is for the nut to hold down the switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. Airborne

Airborne Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2011
    FT Bragg, NC
    Thanks Mark! I'm going to order the TCS, bolt and Vacuum lines. The TCS from camaro central looks identical.
    Now I ran across the TCS relay while wire tracing and I will order it to. I assume it is bolted to the firewall somewhere? Now I have to run wires for it. The purple goes to the neutral safety switch, dark blue goes to the TCS along with the blue from the trans switch. Okay, where does the dark green wire go? Is that some kind of ground on sheet D2 of the assembly manual? It just ends in the middle of nowhere.

4. Airborne

Airborne Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2011
    FT Bragg, NC
  5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The TCS solenoids between the small block cars and big block cars are different, they have different p/n. I've never compared them side by side but I believe the mounting bracket is a little different. It does mount on one of the Intake manifold bolts/stud like Mark mentioned. The TCS setup uses both hard lines and rubber hoses at the ends. I have the factory original setup on my L34 car and can get you a picture but I may not be able to get to it till Saturday.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  6. Airborne

Airborne Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2011
    FT Bragg, NC
    Scott that would be freakin' awesome. I will wait until I see the pics to order then. Thanks a ton!

7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I have both TCS solenoids here - you have a PM:bowtie:

8. Airborne

Airborne Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2011
    FT Bragg, NC
    Sounds good. Reply sent for the BB one...

9. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    the parts place has the solenoid and i sent inline a set of original metal lines last year and they should now have them in the cat.

original pic
    [​IMG]

repo parts
    [​IMG]

10. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Hey Airborne, Didn't see anyone mention it yet, but the green wires go to this switch that installs in the passenger side head. - Not sure if any of the parts places sell a reproduction, or maybe ever Autozone..., but I would definitely stay away from the JoParts seller who has these on ebay. -

[​IMG]

Good Luck !