TH400 slip yoke in a 4L80E?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by KYCamaroman, May 16, 2011.

1. KYCamaroman

KYCamaroman Member

May 3, 2011
    Marion, KY
    I am swapping from my TH400 to a 4L80E in my 70 Camaro. I removed the yoke from the 4L80E and installed the TH400 yoke into the back of the 4L80E and it fits great to include the seal marks lining up exactly. My question is does anyone know if it would be advisable to use the TH400 slip yoke for the conversion? I did notice the 4L80E yoke uses a larger universal joint. Can the 4L80E yoke be used as a slip yoke (same length as the TH400 yoke) by removing the bolt which holds it on the output shaft. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

2. Louich

Louich Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Arthur, Ontario
    unless you have the output shaft machined down in the 4l80 they usually won't slide in enough, they are same spline as turbo 400, i should have machined mine down when i was building it but ended up machining out some of the yoke inside to slip over it.

3. KYCamaroman

KYCamaroman Member

May 3, 2011
    Marion, KY
    Given the fact that the 4L80E slip yoke uses a larger (which would seem stronger) u-joint I want to use that yoke. I guess I should have asked the following question; Can the 4L80E slip yoke be used without the bolt holding it in? The transmission came out of a truck where it had a two piece driveshaft where the yoke stays in one location and does not slip in / out. Will the fact that the bolt being removed somehow cause transmission fluid leakage?

4. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
  5. JAMMINJ007

JAMMINJ007 Veteran Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Houston, Tx
    Mine did. I later bought a different slip yoke for 1350 u-joints.

6. KYCamaroman

KYCamaroman Member

May 3, 2011
    Marion, KY
    What would the solution be Jake? would it be possible just to weld a cap in place of where the bolt and washer were to cap off the center of the yoke? Really need to know my options. Do you know what parts I need to use? The driveshaft which I will be using is a stock shaft out of a 97 Chevy 2500 pickup. Hopefully you will know what size the u-joints are for that vehicle. I am running a 10 bolt rear end so I am sure that I will need a different yoke for that too by going this route.

7. KYCamaroman

KYCamaroman Member

May 3, 2011
    Marion, KY
    JamminJ007, Where did you get said yoke?

8. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
  9. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    97 one tone would use a 1350 joint.

The bolt on yoke is just that, it's a bolt on, not meant to be a slip.

I recommend buying the correct part instead of cobbling together something that will cause problems.

10. JAMMINJ007

JAMMINJ007 Veteran Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Houston, Tx