TIG vs MIG welding opinions for beginner

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Aceshigh, Feb 1, 2010.

TIG or MIG For a beginner ??

Poll closed Feb 22, 2010.
  1. TIG

5 vote(s)
  2. MIG

35 vote(s)
  1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    I'm trying to figure out what I want to buy right now.
    I'm reading TIG is a bit harder for beginners but a much more reliable choice for welding.

This is saying MIG welding can often just melt a rod ONTO 2 pieces of joining metal and not actually MELTING into them.
    Kinda like when you solder something improperly and it's just sitting ON TOP of the 2 wires....instead of melding them together.
    Thus, causing a weak weld that's not readily visible to the user......which I've noticed ALOT of nice LOOKING welds.

I'm going to buy some video's and practice but I'm just looking for opinions on what this article is saying.
    I've watched some Youtube video's too and alot of chopper builders are also saying TIG is alot better.

I'm just looking to do welds for a crossmember for my T56 and my tunnel hump mods to fit it in.
    Obviously the hump doesn't have to be super strong but I think my crossmember does.
  2. CTSmechanic

CTSmechanic Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2004
    North Carolina
    MIG vs TIG Is a timless debate.... Both when done right produce the same strength welds.... If you have never welded I would reccomend A Good MIG Machine.... 220 volts.... Sheilding gas..... plenty of capacity when it comes to thicker stuff.. A MIG will be cheaper to learn with.... Mix Gas instead of pure Argon.... Tungsten gets expensive quick when you are constantly grinding it because you stuck it in the puddle like a lawn dart Filler rod(depending on type) gets expensive because its sold by the pound not roll... Check out Welding tips and tricks.com.... the best welding site I have found
  3. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy
    If you learn tig you will like it better.

Another thing to think about is if you don't have a detached garage I wouldn't even think of using a mig or stick welder, the sparks flying is a real bad fire hazard. The tig is more controlled like a torch no sparks flying around in corners of garage.
    I've got a mig and didn't think about that...I only feel compfortable using it outside.

If you're not going to do any big jobs neither will be worth the fuss...ask Keiser (Doug), he's trying to sell one that never gets used.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  4. 73RS

73RS Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Gonzales LA
    Tig does make a great weld but is slow, very slow. Mig is easier to learn and much quicker. I have both and avoid tigging unless it's a real thin item, aluminum or I need a more delicate weld.
  5. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 20, 2003
    I AM ILK
    ace i have a mig and would feel very comfortable doing what you need done with a quality mig. if the floor pans are good a mig will weld floor pans nicely. thick metal like cross members is a piece of cake. just make sure you use a gas attachment mig and not flux core wire.

i havent ever found a need to buy a tig although i want one and if i welded aluminum i would own one but...
  6. 80Camaroman

80Camaroman Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    You can do much more with tig welding if you are really good than you can with a mig welder. Both types have their place. You can even weld aluminum with a tig welder much better than you can with a mig welder IMHO. Lots of aluminum and steel parts on our airplanes are actually tig welded. Hope this helps! ;)

7. Shawn

Shawn Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Graham, WA, USA
    Mig is easy to learn and does most things you need and is more forgiving on metals that are not an exact fit. If you get good at a Mig I would think then you would move up to a Tig. The guy that taught me to set the heat with a Mig and welding upside down and other things is amazing and has a Tig that he would use and he said it would take him a bit to get reaquainted with getting the Tig weld correct if he did not do it often, but Mig doesn't take much at all to get going again, a couple general rules and you are off to the races. That being said, I wish I had a Tig now because I'm ready for the next level. Mig, good starter welder.

Mig is versatile. Tin work as well as cage with the same wire, get your setting right and it can be done with a 220v Mig and Argon/CO2 gas.

8. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I would go with a MIG with Stargon/Argon shielding gas . I can't even tell you how much I use mine. I weld aluminum with it too...use another liner,tip and drive wheel with aluminum wire, argon gas...my aluminum welds are bitchin with it.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    mig is point and shoot (practically) gm taught me in a shift on a moving object!(definitely not rocket science) . tig is manual wire feed, foot pedal, and arc distance all at once. if you can tig , you can mig. if you can mig it doesn't mean you can tig though. and a huge plus you can tig non ferrous metals
  10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Is the Home Depot Lincoln Electric one's a good brand to get ??
    I seen Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes all have different brands.
    Wasn't sure if I should get one of these or a Miller or something else.

Okay, I'll look into this then.
    I don't understand the shielding gas part with Argon or the other stuff.
    I thought I read it can be toxic if inhaled.... ??

Thanks , I'll look into that more. :)
    There's a place by me that sells welding training video's.
    I was going to buy one and a welder and just go to town with it experimenting.

Thanks Kik, I'll inquire. :bowtie:
    Yes, my garage is attached.....my MBR is right above it. :screwup:
    So maybe out in the driveway is better eh ??