Trans am rear end (posi)

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Philly, May 10, 2010.

1. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I looking at buying a rear end out of a trans am (Smokey & the bandit type car) its posi but i don know if its a decent rear end or if it will fit in my 73 camaro...need some help here.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Disc brakes?

It will bolt up to the frame, springs and shocks fine.
    You may need a different U-joint to mate with the pinion yoke.... Depending on the T/A year.

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The original "Smokey & The Bandit" T/A's were the 77-78 body styles which did not yet have the rear wheel disc brake axle. This came on the 79-later.

So many threads have been written about this but just to cover the basics, if you are getting a 79-81 rear with disc brakes, make sure you get the parking brake cables, the master cylinder, the prop valve, the brake pedal pushrod to make the conversion easier.

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    If it's truly from a trans am maybe you'll be lucky and it will have 3 series gears and a posi in it

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is true of the 80-81 Turbo cars that had as high as 2.41 gears!

6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    ^caught me before I edited, I didn't realize the original poster was not necessarily asking about discs. But yeah I was surprised to see the low 2.xx gears in the disc rears...

7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I just had two pass through my hands - one was a '79 w/2.41 Posi - I think the other was a '78 but 2.56 posi.

The Pontiacs tend to get higher gearing because, in general, they have a lot of torque and can over come it on the street and because, in general, they don't like to rev so the high gears keep them happy on the highway.

8. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Birmingham,Alabama
    Years back I picked up a rearend out of a 79 or 80 TA w/ 3:42 posi and the guy at salvage yard said it was a limited slip not a posi and only charged me $100. ;)
    Its still in my 80 Camaro today.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  9. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...Lucked out myself, 3;42 limited slip disc rear out of a T/A from calif. , took the buildsheet out of the car , and it had a 305 4bbl in it , weird combo,the rear is still in my 79 , DC:bowtie:

10. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009
    No disc brakes on this unit. Umm...if it were limited slip ..if i turned one tire,.. the opposite tire would spin in the opposite direction right? and if it was a true posi both tires would spin in the same direction ...correct? it does have low gears in it i think...i'd have to get the code...but if its a posi would 250$ be a good price?