transporting an engine ????

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by steveo_80z28_nj, Jul 30, 2008.

1. steveo_80z28_nj

steveo_80z28_nj Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Might have a line on a running '80 z problem is transporting it.

What's the best way of doing that?

I might be able to borrow my brothers truck but how do I place it in the bed without damaging his bed and the engine?

Sorry for what seems like a dumb question...but I've swapped out motors before but never had to buy one and transport it home over an hour.

2. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Eldersburg, MD, USA
    Check with your local car dealers and see if they have an engine crate they want to get rid of. That would be the easiest and safest way.
  3. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    My last engine I used an old truck tire under the pan. And then I tied it off in a few places to the truck bed.

It actually worked very well.
  4. steveo_80z28_nj

steveo_80z28_nj Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2008

Two great tips I didn't even think about.

5. 73Z28LT

73Z28LT Veteran Member

go to a place that rebuild motors. every shop have engine skids that they use to transport engines in. offer to leave a deposit for one and then return it when your done....they might just give you one...
  6. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    Summit sells engine stands for like $50 I think. I've used old tires too.
  7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would get the stand with no wheels. I have several in the shop just for unexpected deals or buddies borrowing.
    I buy one or 2 when I find them at shows or expos cheap. $20-30 for a plain jane.
    Then use shipping wrap to seal, in case of hitting weather on the drive. Good luck.

8. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Its prety easy to make a cradle out of 2X6's cut to length and nailed or screwed together. I'll post up pics when I get home from work.
  9. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SA, TX

I've used old tires also and they keep the engine from sliding around (under normal driving conditions). You can also build a engine cradle out of 2x4s and 4x4s. I've got a wooden engine cradle I keep laying around for just such occasions, works great.
  10. If you need help, lemme know...I have a tire here I'd give ya....

Plus some cut pieces of 2x4.

That's the only way I've moved problems that way either...