TYPE F in place of dextron 3?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by SoCalCamaro, Oct 19, 2003.

1. SoCalCamaro

SoCalCamaro Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Newbury Park, Ca
    Ok this may be a dumb question but a mechanic(old school streetracer ) once told me i could use type f in place of dextron 3 to firm the shifts a little as it doesnt have the "slippery additve" for smooth clutch engagment, he said thats what B&M trick shift fluid was when it first came out. now I have to admit once upon a time i did this in my blazer a while ago when the tranny was a really really tired. and it did help, actually made it feel like i had put in a stage 1 sift kit almost. although a few months later the governer cap poped off and lost all my fluid while on the freeway basicly destroying my 700r4. but Im asking now because my th350 is acting tried and need to prolong its performance for a little longer since I have no money to work on it so im wondering if this is safe.

2. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't recommend it.
    Type if is harsher on the frictions, so if they are questionable it could cause them to get worse.

If it feels "slippy" I would leave it alone, even new Dexron, the detergents would be harsher on the frictions.

If it is a seal problem causing it to feel slippy, you COULD put some solvent like Trans-X in to swell the lip seals a little, but this is a temporary solution at best..

I think I would leave it alone and try to find a good deal on a TH350...
    Or buy a kit and rebuild it....

But that's me [​IMG]

3. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Actually,
    On second thought...

The best thing I cna think of would be to replace the filter and refill with tractor hydraulic fluid, it is available anywhere and just let it mix with the ATF that is already in there.
    Look for Tractor fluid used in tractors with automatics..
    It is a little heavier weight than Dexron so may seal the seals better.
    Very clear so you need some ATF mixed with it to identify it on the dipstick and if you have any leaks..

4. secondgenerationjason2

secondgenerationjason2 Veteran Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Latrobe,Pa usa
    I have used and still use type f .actually,in a B/M shift kit install instructions,they tell you to use type f instead.From what I have gathered,type f has more anti-foaming agents in it.

I have had not one problem using it.

5. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    And you will not have any problems running it in the short term...

And I wouldn't trust anything the B&M instructions say....

Their parts break trannys and their techniques are outdated.

Type F has fewer friciton modifiers, and will cause a varnish residue over time.
    Ever wonder why NONE of the OEM's run it anymore?

I would stay with Dexron or use tractor hydraulic fluid.

Tractor fluid has a higher evap temp. It is more stable under extreme conditions than other fluids.

Dexron has all the proper additives.
    You don't calibrate a trans with fluid type.

6. nasty355

nasty355 Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2002
    walnutport,pa,
    ok first off.everyone so far was correct.2ndgenjason b+m shift kits and tci shift kits do recomend type f.there is a draw back trans wont last long(street driven)and if you have a already well worn trans it will kill it.jake pretty much nailed it on the quality there and also with the tractor fluid.it much higher temp and will "extend the life"but not correct anything wrong.if somethigns wrong it will go and usually at the worst moment(ask me how i know this)what i would do is change filter and gasket mix some tractor fluid in and look for either a good th350 or a good core and get it built.oh yeah jake whats the deal with the new mercron 5 fluid.asked or guy at work that delivers our fluids and has no clue.eric

------------------
    efi the only way to fly

7. secondgenerationjason2

secondgenerationjason2 Veteran Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Latrobe,Pa usa
    Learn something new everyday.
    Glad I checked back.

8. JOHNNYMO

JOHNNYMO Veteran Member

Uh Oh! I was running type f for a while. There wasnt anything wrong with my tranny but I did the stage 1 B&M kit & followed their reccomendation too. I will be installing a new B&M converter & the tranny is empty now. Should I use the B&M Trick shift or just plain old Dexron?

9. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    I don't know alot of hands of tech when it comes to trannies, but from what I heard the tranny guys say trick shift is a waste of money. Best way to sum up what trick shift is, is its a high priced type F fuild.

Myself I like the tractor fuild. I like the higher break down temp of it.

10. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Trick shift is just hi-priced F.

My best recommend for MOST people is to just use Dexron.
    For severe use, use Tractor Hyd fluid.