Vintage Air refrigerant hoses

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    So, I haven't completely thought this through yet, but it seems to me that you need to assemble the hoses "uncrimped" first to figure out length and orientation. Then you would get them crimped somewhere and re-install them. Does the crimped ends fit through the grommets and/or holes in the plastic pieces ok?

John Wright likes this.
  2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All my hoses which came assembled fit through the grommets/holes.

John Wright likes this.
  3. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    The only lines that came completely assembled in my kit were the 3 hard lines that attach to the condenser up front. All the rest of the flexible lines need to be crimped.

John Wright likes this.
  4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    My VA hose came on a roll. What I did was cut each hose to the approximate length and fed them thru the cavities and once I had one end attached to the tubing and measured and attached the ends to the fittings and marked the exact best fit with a felt tip sharpie and marked the hose to the fittings. I took all my pre-measured hoses and tubed fitting to my local automotive A/C repair shop and they swedged each of my ends for $5 dollars. It may sound confusing but once you get started it's pretty easy. They will fit thru all the holes fully assembled.

John Wright likes this.
  5. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    That's not confusing. That's exactly what I envisioned happening. Thanks for verifying...

John Wright likes this.
  6. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    I use the ez-clip hoses because you can assemble the fittings yourself. Make sure whomever you have crimp the fittings does NOT use a crimper for hydraulic hoses...it will ruin the fittings.

John Wright likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Richard, I doubt it for the bigger -10 fitting hose. I would bet the -6 would fit though

I bought an AC hose crimper. I could "rent" it to you if you needed it. The EZ clip lines are awesome, but a kit cost more then a crimper!

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Edit....looks like it will slide through if you go from engine side to the interior. The port will prevent it the other way. Good to know!

Attached Files:

9. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    I looked at buying one too, but decided against it. Thanks for the offer. I'll look into what I can do here first. Shipping your tool back and forth may be more than getting them crimped locally...

10. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yeah, that looks like the way to go if you're starting from scratch, but I already have all these parts supplied with the kit. Thanks for your input!