VITAL information on the paint video.

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by wookie, Jul 21, 2008.

1. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Daytona Florida
    This is the response I sent to an email about the new DVD.I felt responsible to post it here to help share my intents and make sure there are no
    mis-understandings as far as what folks can expect. I left out the email writers name out of respect to him.

My response:

Dear XXX,
    Thanks for the email. Everyone's opinion is important to me, and I take your suggestions and comments seriously. I am not above improving on what I give to folks in the way of information.

That said, I hope I can clear up a couple items that have concerned you with this new DVD. I have a disclaimer in the first 5 minutes of the DVD saying that by watching this DVD, one will NOT become a professional painter. BUT if the techniques presented in the DVD are followed, the user can expect to do their own paint with a minimum of problems compared to if simply left alone with a paint gun and some urethane. I do NOT try to make a professional painter out of the first timer with this, but simply try to clear up some of the mis-information out there that prevents a lot of highly mechanically capable individuals from attempting paint on their own car. If they can build an engine, transmission, suspension, and do the bodywork, they can probably, with a few pointers from my DVD, be able to operate a spray gun. You as a painter KNOW that after a few times of spraying sheet metal, it really ISN'T that hard to do. There ARE tricks to the trade, and things to learn to become really GOOD at it, but that comes with any automotive trade. After building your first small block, you didn't expect ot build an 8-second twin turbo NMCA motor did you? Of course not. BUT you had the basic understanding to go forward and learn more. That is what I do with these DVD's is give the home painter the basics to build on.

That is the purpose of my DVD. Nothing more. The following ones will go into more details about different things the home painter can try and practice on to become better if they so choose.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.

Mark Eckert

Hammerhead Kustoms
  2. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

don't sweat it Mark... I think we all know what we are buying;)
  3. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    And to think, I was ready to throw down some flawless black paint and build me a 1500hp twin turbo!
  4. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Daytona Florida

Got any extra turbos you don't need??
  5. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOL LOL LOL... right!!!;)
  6. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Mark I agree with K5JMP don't sweat it.... We all know that we will not become professional painters but if we want to try painting our own cars that this vid will help us.. I am personally not looking for a $12,000.00 paint job on my cars. I want to drive them and not trailer them ;)
  7. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree, I dont think you are misrepresenting the product in any way Mark. You have helped me tremendously over the years. I even feel comfortable giving some (limited) advice on paint and bodywork.
  8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN

Paint and Body work is a PROFESSION!
    It takes training AND practice to learn any profession well.
    Sounds like you are quite clear about this in the vid, Mark.

You can't always meet the expectations of others because some people expect too much.
    I appreciate the effort you've put into this vid. :D
  9. WHAT!!!????
    I'm NOT going to be a first class professional painter after watching your DVD???!!! Shock and dismay! I feel SO mislead! I want my intention of sending you money back!

Yo Mark, dude, it's all good.....:cool:

I'm sure this "other" person had the best of intentions at heart. He's just looking out for the "few cylinders short of a V8" people. If someone believes that watching your dvd will make them "UBER TALENTED" then they shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place...
  10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Dont sweat that junk.Were all adults here.I know that I appreciate any and all help.Thats why Im on board.