When should the whole engine come out?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by King Itchy, Jan 8, 2017.

1. King Itchy

King Itchy Veteran Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Based on a compression test, I'm reasonably sure I have a head gasket problem. (50 and 60 psi #4 and #6). That being said, its a bit low on the other side as well (160 on #1, 130 on #5).

Since I have to pull the heads, I've got to pull a bunch more. Since I'm doing all that, would it be easier to just pull the whole engine?

2. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    JM2cW If you've got to remove the upper assembly you're half way (or more to getting the engine out. That having been said I recently had head gaskets done on my Corvette and they were done with the engine in place. However it is a much bigger job to pull the engine on the C4.

Of course once you get the engine out then you open a real can of money worms. I would suggest you have a clear plan and budget before pulling the engine. Because no matter what you hudget you're going get"well I'm in here" itis...believe me.

Coadster32 likes this.
  3. King Itchy

Jun 4, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Pretty much what I plan to do. Pull her apart and just make sure everything is within tolerance. Budget is $500. I get her apart and looks like more than that, I'll bump the budget to $5k and just put in an LS... (jk):crazy:

4. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver, B.C.
    You might be okay at $500. An el cheepo gasket kit is $100 or less and machining the heads will cost another $100. I'd pull the engine if I were you, it's not much more work and will allow you to do a much better job prepping gasket surfaces.

5. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I would never pull a SBC to do head gaskets - they are right there!

Coadster32 likes this.
  6. xler8r

xler8r Veteran Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Mishawaka, IN
    I would find out where your compression loss is coming from first, Could be rings, did you do a wet test by oiling the rings?

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Indialantic, Florida
    Good idea...if the rings are bad, that would explain things.

8. King Itchy

Jun 4, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Got it out and the top end torn open, noticed a few things.
    • Wrong exhaust gaskets
    • A black area on the head gasket between 4 and 6 that didn't appear anywhere else, possibly a leak between the two.
    • There is almost no ridge at the top of the cylinders (I'd say none, but I haven't measured yet) and very visible crosshatch in the cylinders.
    • There is a vertical score in a couple cylinders, most noticeable in #4. probably a few thousndths (can see/feel with a fingernail, but haven't measured yet.
    • one of the valves is seated deeper than the rest by a good amount. it is nearly flush with the chamber whereas the rest protrude a sixteenth or so.
    • cam doesn't have much wear, lifters look flat (i'll measure tomorrow)
    • no appreciable play in the crank.
    • heavy carbon on all the cylinders but #1 and 8 (the two with the highest compression
    • Pistons are stamped H618P .040 031-03-03c. I assume Speed Pro .040 over?
    I've personally only put about 100 Miles on the car since I bought it in '06. I'm thinking it was gone though not long before, to solve some problem before they sold it, but possibly not well. I'll know more tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017 at 11:49 PM