Where to get parts rechromed

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by BLUE72CAMARO, Mar 16, 2007.

1. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Bunker Hill, IL
    I am going to be sending my window moldings and head light surrounds out to get rechromed but I dont have a clue as to where I should send them. Where have you guys had good luck with at a reasonable cost?

2. C-1 generation 2

C-1 generation 2 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Imperial,Missouri USA
    About four years ago I had some plating done on my 62 Vette,fan shroud, hood Strikers,plates and bolts and all pullies at Gateway plating in St. Louis.not cheap but they did a good job. Although the building looks shody.

3. BlownBigBlock

BlownBigBlock Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 2, 2000
    Carlisle PA
    I'm gonna send my stuff down to a place in Philly, don't have their link at the moment, but someone on here has used them and had good luck. I did talk to them about doing my grill surround, was quoted about $400 - $500 to do it, and they did say it will come out right.

Seems alot on here in the Cali area have had luck with Sherm's(?). Do a search on Keizer - he had has headlight bezels done and was quite happy.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

FYI, The window reveal moldings and headlamp bezels are ALUMINUM with Brite Dip Anodizing applied. They never were Chrome plated.........Why not just have anodizing stripped, repolish , and keep shiny by using ZOOPS.........or ?????????????

5. 79CamaroMan

79CamaroMan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 28, 2002
    Farmington Hills, MI
    My dad and family run a metal refinishing chrome shop in Hagerstown , IN. They do great work of course, if it werent so, I would be embarrassed to recomend them. Thats where all my chrome is done, of course I do my parts myself when I visit. Here is their info I found from a google search:

Specializing in Chrome Plating
    Welcome to Custom Metal Finishing Indiana LLC.
    We are a family owned and operated business.
    We perfom the Rechroming on Cars, Boats, Motorcycles, Antiques, and more.
    We can plate Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, and yes even Di-cast (Pot-Metal)
    Aluminum and Stainless Polishing is also available.
    Available in our office is a small display showing some of the parts we have rechromed.
    Contact Information
    Email :
    Chromeplater1@yahoo.com
    Phone :
    1-866-489-4089
    Address :
    9705 State Road 38
    Hagerstown
    IN
    U.S.A.

Edit: Also they can get aluminum trim re-anodized for you.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  6. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    That's right Blue, those parts are not chromed. A shop like CamaroMan though can strip and repolish them and maybe anodize them again if they do that process.

It is VERY expensive to have trim restored so don't take it personal when they quote you the cost. You can do it yourself of course but if you truly buff the parts out you need a buffing stand and the buffs plus compounds. After you get the equipment now you have the huge and likely outcome of totally destroying a part when it gets caught in the wheel due to us newbies not knowing the correct positioning of the part or pressure against the wheel. Easy to fubar parts up on the buffing wheel.

My sense is, based on your restoration to date, you are best served by sending the parts out to be stripped, buffed and polished to better than new condition. Bend over, write the check to 79's inheritance fund, and I think you'll be happy with the end result.

7. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Yes they are. And I know that the head light bezels were not originally chrome, but I had Sherms do mine, and they turned out awesome. GM should have done it this way.

You can strip the brite dip coating off your headlight bezels with heavy duty oven cleaner. Then, you can polish them. However, they will be a maintenance nightmare keeping them looking good.

8. hucks 70

hucks 70 Veteran Member

Jun 4, 2004
    millstadt ill USA
    whatcha think matt road trip to indy .let me no if your going ,i need some stuff chromed .is st.louis plating still in business .there is also a place in belleville ,but the chrome he does looks like old chrome . looked great on my old norton motorcycle.

9. BobB

BobB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2000
    USA
    Used to be lots of chromers around,EPA ran em all out.