Why do this?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by allen1073, Apr 30, 2012.

1. allen1073

allen1073 Veteran Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Pearland, Texas
    I bought my 72 6 months ago and after swapping engines and getting it painted I finally brought it home. I bought 17 x 9 torque thrust 2's 5.5" bs for the rear and anticipated no rubbing issues. I drove the car home from the paintshop(only 4 blocks) and heard something rubbing. To my dismay it was the shock stud eating the inner wheel lip. The car had 2"lowering blocks on it. Not uncommon, but why the hell would there also be adjustable shackles in the back? Why try to drop and raise the car at the same time? I pulled the blocks and relocated the spring to the hole nearest the frame until I get stock replacement shackles in.

[​IMG]

2. allen1073

allen1073 Veteran Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Pearland, Texas
    Pic from backside.

[​IMG]

3. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    Probably because the blocks lowered the car too much.
    I have Hotchkis drop leafs on mine and I felt the rear was a scoshe too low as well. So I have some slightly taller shackles too....but you can't see them protrude past the tailpan...that drives me nuts.

4. allen1073

allen1073 Veteran Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Pearland, Texas
    I'm not sure what the final result was, he may have ended up back at square one(stock height or maybe 1" or less drop). The car is sitting around 30" now to the fender lip. The front is around 26". Didn't check it before I removed the blocks. Looks a little higher now but hopefully the stock shackles will get me back to around where it was at. I prefer a little rake. There is a 2" difference in tires also.

5. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    You have to install some pretty lengthy shackles to get a lot of lift. I'd say it's about 50%, probably a little less since the axle is forward of the leaf spring centerline. So, if you install 1" longer shackles, you'll lift the rear about .5"... maybe a little less. So, if the P.O. put in 2" blocks on the axle, and 2" longer shackles, he'd essentially have about 1" in total drop.

6. allen1073

allen1073 Veteran Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Pearland, Texas

If I remember correctly I measured somewhere @5.5" to 5.75" bolt centers where it is now. He had it on the one below which would make it @ 6.5". I may have to go back with a 1"block after I get the new shackles in. I agree with you on the long shackles sticking out the back, can't stand it.