Window Crank Handles

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by citrusz, Sep 14, 2007.

1. citrusz

citrusz Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    What is the correct part number on the backside of a window crank handle for a 1970 with standard interior? Does any supplier make a reproduction that looks and works correctly? Thanks

2. jacsey 70Z

jacsey 70Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 22, 2000
    Davison, Mich, U.S.A.
    My 70 has Deluxe interior (not sure it matters) 9715291-A1 didn't want to take a chance in removing, so you have to read backwards.
    Not sure who makes a correct one, but try to find one with the correct amount of yellowing in the knob!!
    Jack

[​IMG]

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    Mine came with these with deluxe interior.

[​IMG]

4. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cedartucky
    They are ez to find. Even auto parts stores might have one. Somebody mentioned a while ago that almost all window cranks on GM cars were pretty much the same for a lot of years. A fine suggestion was to find a 4 door 70s GM product in the boneyard and grab the little used rear door cranks.

5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow Mark, I've never seen window cranks like that on a 2nd gen. Camaro before... even with deluxe interior.:cool:

I've collected quite a few window cranks and many have different ##'s with very little or no difference between them.

Repro's don't look nearly as good as the originals....

6. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Edison NJ USA
    the repros are also wobbely in some situations and are not tight on the shaft and the bend is crappy and they hit the door pannels oer ones i had sucked but the ones i got from npd were better quality even though they were repro.

7. DANZ

DANZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Purcellville,Va.
    Must be a Canadian thing.LOL

8. camaro73lt

camaro73lt Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Germantown, Maryland
    Wobbly Window Cranks

If anyone has a fix for wobbly windows cranks, please let me know. My new ones have this problem. I hate it when vendors sell you "OEM" fitting parts and they just suck. I was thinking of taking the old handles and putting new buttons on with a rivet gun or screw. Anyone tried this or have a good source for decent ones?

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    Take a ballpean hammer and hammer the orig rivit to tighten it.

BTW, my car was ordered by GM Experimental and who knows where they dug up the window crank from. I think they were trying to hide what the car was, since it didn't come with a rear Z28 emblem on the rear spoiler. It was suppose to be crushed and not sold to the public after all the testing. They wanted this to be a killer car because some options were changed after they got it or was changed at the factory after the options were typed into the system to point to my VIN. Such things as the on paper 3.73 gears were changed for 4.10's which worked better with the M20 wide ratio tranny they ordered.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007