Z-MAX oil additive

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 80-z28, Sep 26, 2009.

1. 80-z28

80-z28 Veteran Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Orleans, La
    Does anyone use the Z-MAX oil or fuel additive in their engine? If so,what are your opinions about it?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

I used the treatment a few times in my 96 Jeep Cherokee. Dont know if prevented/improved anything....but I drove it to 140,XXX miles before my wife wrecked it. Never had a mechancial problem with it.

3. Simon@London

Simon@London Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2009
    London Ontario
    Just another scam.

Their sales pitch states Z_max penetrates into the metal for better protection against wear. How it works better than oil is beyond me and I am sure it does not. They have so many motor sports guys plugging this crap now with the latest Ken Herring commercial.

Shelby has been plugging this Cash Cow for years.

Don't buy into it it's about on par with all those anti-bacteria plugs two years back. Tests proved plain soap did same thing and most times better.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

In a way I feel this way about all over the counter products. Theres just no such thing as a miracle product. The engine restore, trans restore, leak fixes ect...Just scams

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    The Co is going to court over the misleading advertising. It's BS snake oil.

6. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    I'll play on the other side!! I personally use zmax in all my vehicles, and my DD is a 01 saturn with 198k miles on it.. At 155k my engine started smoking upon cold startup, also had a big problem with oil consumption! The car was using on average about 2 quarts to every 3k miles (it only holds 4qts).
    I started using Zmax at every oil change (3-4k miles). Now, 40+k miles later, the car no longer smokes on startup. The oil consumption is down to about a 1/4qt every 3-5k miles!!
    I also put it in my lawnmower and it too quit smoking.. This one kinda sucked cause now the mower don't kill the mosquitoes anymore!! LOL

I say it's not snake oil, and I also say this age old saying---- Don't knock it until you try it... If you haven't used it on a constant basis, you really have no opinion!! nbl..

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 8, 2001
    san bernardino calif
    i used to use pro-blend "racing" oil additive and pro-blend "racing" trans additive in all of my cars in the mid to late 80's and noticed a big difference especially in reduced oil and water temps along less oil consumption .after using pro-blend for many years and very satisfied with the results i switched to lucas hvy duty oil stabilizer and have used one bottle at ea oil change in my camaro and again very satisfied with the results . i've run lucas oil stabilizer in t/cases and rear axles with good results and will continue using it

8. Ted

Ted Veteran Member

I've used pro-blend products since the early 80's and have been very pleased with the results. A LT-1 I built in 80 and tore down in 89 with many passes at the track and many miles on the street had bearings that looked like new.

9. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Z-Max won't hurt anything, but it won't help. Oil can not penetrate into metal. The parent company is owned by the same people who own NASCAR and a couple of the tracks as well. They sell various different additives under many names. The US Gov Federal Trade Commission sued them and won on every cont and got millions in fines. The FTC sued many of the additive makers and won across the board. None of them could prove their claims, including Dura-Lube, Motor-Up, Prolong, Tufoil, Slick50 etc... An independent analysis of Z-Max showed it to be colored mineral oil and some other stuff that swells the dried-out rubber seals. I lost a lot of respect for Carrol Shelby when he started plugging this stuff.

Slick 50 in $20M lawsuit, loses to FTC.

Blue Corral, the manufacturers of the Slick 50 engine oil additive, have been banned by the Federal Trade Commission from making claims about reduced engine wear, increased fuel economy and lower running temperatures in it's advertising in America. The Federal Commission found the company's claims of increased performance and reduced wear were unsubstantiated, and Blue Corral has agreed to pay upwards of $20M in damages to affected customers.
    Source: Max Power magazine, March 1998.
    MotorUp loses to FTC for deceptive advertising claims.

MotorUp loses to FTC for deceptive advertising claims.

In an ongoing campaign targeting ads that tout motor oil additives with deceptive claims that they reduce engine wear or extend engine life compared to motor oil alone, the FTC has charged the seller of Motor Up Engine Treatment with making unsubstantiated and deceptive advertising claims, in violation of federal laws. Motor Up Corporation and its principal, Kyle Burns, face an administrative trial.

ZMax loses case against an FTC settlement for misleading advertising.

The Federal Trade Commission filed suit in a U. S. District Court that sought to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and which asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleged that enhanced performance claims for the product were unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually mineral oil tinted with food colouring..

I can go on and on....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I'm thinking Zmax went back to court with the FTC in 2003 and won their case and were allowed to continue marketing their product. I still wouldn't use it though.....or any other oil additive. My 1994 Honda Accord has over 300K on the clock and hasn't ever had the 1st additive put in it.