04 5.3 Complete - Good deal?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by DoTheDew, Apr 22, 2011.

1. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

On the brink of making a deal. Must decide by the end of easter weekend or so. 2004 silverado extended cab with a 5.3 (LM7 I believe). Truck is a rollover at a local dealership. No front end damage, but the cab and box are crushed. Offer from dealer is $900 for the whole truck, so long as I remove and return to them a few items (front and rear diff's, transmission, x-fer case). However complete engine, accessories, wiring, computer, remainder of the truck is all mine.

This is for my first experience into the LS world, so it will be for my 3/4 truck. Depending on how it turns out, I'll by using experience learned from this to apply to my second gen. Thoughts on this deal?

2. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are going for ~1200 alone without wires and computer plus you can sell interior parts on craigslist then recycle whats left I would be suprised if you didnt come out ahead

door panels $50 each
    seats 200$
    steering column 150

i actually need the turn signal switch with hazzard button if it isnt busted

door handles $20

3. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think its a good deal, but I would question putting a 5.3 in a 3/4 ton truck.

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You would be pleasantly surprised at the power that the 5.3L V8 will put out! I questioned it myself until I drove our 2000 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 with a 5.3L V8. It won’t light the tires up like the 5.7L V8 I tried but it tow’s out dual axle trailer loaded quite well.

5. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Someone told me that a rollover is a concern, because the engine starves for oil when it is upside down. If you plan on rebuilding it anyway, probably not a problem, but something to consider.

6. OsborneConst

The 5.3 is a great engine, and I think they do well in half ton trucks. I guess if it is an older 3/4 ton it would probably be more powerful than what it had in it. As far as a newer 3/4 ton ( where the tow rating are way higher than in years past) I don't think the 5.3 would cut it. There again it depends on what it will be used for. The 6.0 does decent in my 2500hd, but a 5.3 wouldn't cut it, but I also tow in excess of 10,000 lbs on a fairly regular basis. I assume from the OP that he was talking about installing it in an older non fuel injected truck, where it would be a great choice.

Also with the 5.3 in the tahoe, it would be very hard to light the tires up because of torque management. If you can turn it off, they will fry the tires a good one.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

It is a older model 3/4 ton, 86 to be exact. Originally a carbed model (quadrajet its whole life) I took a dip into the fuel injection world with the throttle body setup. It was somewhat of an improvement, instant starts, torque right off the line, better fuel economy. However it had its own set of problems, and to upgrade the system with flashing new chips, changing this and that, I would sink a considerable amount of money into an already antique sytem. I'm back to the carb setup (edelbrock) for now, but that is only until this one can be swapped in. Doing research, this seams to be the only the way to go, not only in terms of more power, but better computer software, injection system and oem reliability and replacement.

I figured with the torque managment removed (edited in computer, also behind a manual trans), it should be just fine. I also run a higher gearset (3.73 on 33" tires), so its turn a little over 2300 rpm at highway speeds, so having a smaller engine, the extra rpms will help it out. I understand the 'bigger is better' syndrome, but fuel economy for me is key. I would opt for the 6.0, however I don't tow on a regular basis, and with the manual trans, if I did, I can use a lower gear if I need to, in order to make up for any shortfalls on hills, etc.

Also, I read a car craft mag arcticle (take with a grain of salt), where they changed cams, some computer editing for match the cam, and picked up 90 hp at the crank. If stock is not quite enough, they seem to respond the same way a traditional small block would.

I do plan on selling parts from the truck. There was a lot of damage, so I'm not sure what will be good, but I'll make a list once it gets here.

8. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Would the engine still even run if it lost oil pressure? I know some of the older stuff (tbi engines) lost oil pressure, it would cut the fuel pump, which would cause the engine to stall. I would think this would be the same in newer engines, no? I don't plan on doing a rebuild, it only has 90,000 KMS, however since you mention this, I'll probably pull the pan and at least check the bearings.

9. OsborneConst

I think that would be sweet in an 86. I kind of worked through it in my last post, but my brain saw 3/4 ton and I *assumed* at first we were talking about a newer truck. If I didn't tow the heavy loads I do, plus Snowplowing, I would rather have a 5.3 in my truck. I love the 6.0, but in a 4 wheel drive crew cab with 4.10's and tipping the scale at almost seven thousand pounds (with the cap and tools) I only get about 10.7 mpg.

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is.

If you're going to do a rebuild though......I dunno....seems like alot to invest
    because the costs of a rebuild VS just buying a legit LY6 is kinda dumb IMO.