07 BMW X3, 3.0L

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by mgd1790, Mar 20, 2019.

1. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Getting X3 from the father-in-law. Has the standard ticking from a lifter or more than one. Couple questions. Some of people said that not driving a BMW, letting it sit, will eventually either foul a lifter or need to be driven hard to settle them down. Also, there is a "bleeding" procedure to remove "air" in the system. Never heard of that and will try that too.

Also, some of mentioned they have used a couple types of additives during oil changes that has helped. The TSB for cars under warranty even swapped the cylinder head to fix the issue. If I can't fix it with bleeding or additives I might just swap the lifters. eBay/Amazon has sets for $125 or something.

One additive they mentioned in BMW forums...

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-H...t=&hvlocphy=9021427&hvtargid=pla-569142978691

Saw this too...

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/liqui-moly-longtime-motor-oil-5w30-5l-2039/11566220-p

Anyway, wanted to know if anyone dealt with BMW X3 or other models with the 3.0L "ticker" engine.

2. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

Don't know BMW but back in the day we'd drain a quart of oil and put in a quart of ATF. Or a quart of Marvel Mystery oil. Run it a while and then full oil and filter change. Seen more than one engine purring like a fat kitten after that and AFAIK no failures afterwards...

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

10 years ago when I bought my Camaro, had a bunch of sticky or stuck lifters. Didn’t matter what I did nothing changed. So with nothing else to lose, I dumped 2 cans of sea foam into the oil and went out and railed her like a redhead for 45 minutes. Changed the oil and it was perfect. Ran so damn good in fact that after I put the new motor in my car, I donated that one to a very good friend of mine for his c10 that I restored for him. Just changed out the op,tc,intake gaskets so it didn’t leak anymore haha.