10 Bolt Floating Axle

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by AlbertaZ28, Jan 20, 2019.

1. AlbertaZ28

AlbertaZ28 Veteran Member

So I thought I had a brilliant idea today about bolting a newer style Corvette or Camaro wheel bearing assembly onto a 10 bolt axle. After a lot of searching I found that someone has already done it. Has anyone tried this kit from Millerbuilt? It seems like a great idea to solve some of the short comings of the 10 bolt.

https://millerbuiltusa.com/12b/

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Kit looks good, will be interested in the comments.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Don't know I would buy and install that kit on a OEM housing. Any reason why you want to go this route? I would look to someone who can build you a new housing with the floater ends installed. DSE comes to mind...

Is the kit you linked a bolt on kit?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. AlbertaZ28

I am installing 6th Gen Brembo's on the rear to match my fronts and I've been doing some research on brake pad knock back and the different options to reduce or eliminate it. This solution came up which would also remove the c-clip axles, and I was curious if anyone has any experience with it. It is pricey though. I'm starting to think the pad knock back on the street might not be a big issue.

5. badazz81z28

For a street car, not really. Really not so much for your weekend Autocross car either. I run a 9” solid axle and don’t notice any issues. A true competion car could benefit from it, when every second counts with increased safety.

6. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

For just pad knock back I would think just weld on positive retainer ends using the 3.150 taper bearing would do the trick and be a little easier install.

7. badazz81z28

For a C-clip axle, there is a lot of fore and aft play. With the Ford ends (at least on mine) with the tapered bearings...there is no movement in those axles. Under the forces of driving there is probably very little to matter. You know me though...I predict a floating axle in my future.

8. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's a pretty cool little kit. Makes me want to fab one.

I don't see the axle stubs listed as included. So I guess you call up Moser and give them the splines of the diff and let them know it's a Corvette hub on the other?
    NVM...there's an axle link on the page. $400 for a pair.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  9. AlbertaZ28

You buy the axles separate from Millerbuilt. They are $400, listed under the Axles drop down box.

10. badazz81z28

I might actually look into this...they have a ford 9" version...direct bolt on can't be bad...My axle retaining plates are bolted on...