$1000 '70 LS1/T56 swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by spav350, Feb 25, 2012.

1. spav350

spav350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK.... not a straight up $1000 swap but a started unknown amount one, that started with $1000 for a complete drive train running. :) I scored a whole car ('99 Camaro with a T56 6 spd.) with 104k miles wrecked on drivers side still running and moving for $1000. I'm new to the whole LS ball game, and have somewhat searched for a swap kit, (i.e., motor mount brackets, clutch linkage, etc.) with no luck. Maybe I'm just overlooking the places that offer them... ??? My car has a TH350 in it, so I've got a lot of work to do to get this thing in. I plan on refreshing the engine with new bearings, rings, etc. so I don't have any issues after the install. Anyone have any other suggestions before I do the install? I'm also curious as to whether or not the rear and or front brakes on the car would fit my '70. The car has drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, headers, and I don't know what else. Someone put a little money in this car before they wrecked it. No much, but enough to get me excited. I'm pulling this drive train as soon as this rain lets up.:D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. spav350

One question I have right away is, would the headers in the donor, fit my '70?

3. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

$1000? You robbed them dude, thats a great deal! Good luck with the install.

4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I'm not sure if the headers will fit, I have read that some have bought the pacesetter headers (I think that's it) and modified them. Maybe your lucky and yours are the same.

That's a good deal for $1000....I wouldn't call this a $1000 swap yet lol....expect to at least double that. But you have a good starting point since you have the whole car.

5. spav350

I agree it won't be an easy G, but it's a cheap start, seeing that I have the oil pan, ECM, and other little nit picking parts everyone seams to have to shop around for to do a swap. I just looked at is as a cheap investment. I guess I should rephrase the title.

6. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

As is your in better shape than most of us....I paid 850 shipped for my 5.3 and still had to buy the LS oil pan, front drive accessories, intake and so forth....if I did it all over again I would get a real LS1 from the start.

7. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

I have to ask is there a reason to freshenn up the motor? Man, those miles are nothing on these motors. These things are nothing like the gen 1 350 motors. I bought a 6 liter truck motor with 230,000 miles and it has less than 0.001 wear on it.

Anyway, you stole that car. I'll pm you my cell number if you want to talk about stuff you'll need. I went thru putting one in my 76 and about to start another one....and I'm tight with me money.

8. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You straight up STOLE THAT SH_T!!! :cool:
    The accessory drive alone is worth close to $1000 new.
    So is the T56 by itself.....

I never thought of buying a high mileage wreck.......
    I think you just stole the crown from JJ :D

How did you buy it??

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gosh, i'm jealous...that is a great find. Keep us updated on your progress.

10. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

i buy these cars wrecked all the time and I've never bought a running/driving high mile F-body for anywhere near what you paid. Good find!!