11.5 @ 121-124...what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by TheMeat, Apr 25, 2014.

1. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Gonna change the front suspension up and sell the QA1 coil overs that are on it now.

I already have Calvert split monoleafs, Caltrac bars, and QA1 SA in the rear. But, haven't played with the settings.

My car is the slowest in the family but makes the most HP/TQ!:mad: Gotta change that.

2. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

get that 60 down to 1.4 and you'll be in the 10s

3. griffsbombelco

griffsbombelco Veteran Member

A pair of plain old trick springs up front might work out better from what I was told the lower hp cars like springs more stored energy more weight transfer

4. Louich

Louich Veteran Member

you racing it with those no profile tires on it?

5. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Only in the front!

275/60/15 MT's on drag lites on the back at the track.

6. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Here is what I have come up with.

I drive this car on the street...a lot. I have read nothing good about driving a car on the street with the Moroso Trick Springs installed.

I still have my stock SB springs which are ~300 lb spring rate. They rode pretty decent but did not give me the lowered stance that I was/am looking for.

With that, I am going to lob off 1/4 coil and re-install them with an undetermined shock.

Bilstein makes a drag shock that I am seriously considering. Also, I want to replace all of the A-arm bushings with Global West Del a lum to ensure there isn't any binding.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You let the car shift itself?
    Get a shift kit in it, shift it yourself.

Hell I can tell you by just holding my shift for a couple of hundred rpm I can pick up quite a bit...Also, short shifting (which MIGHT be what is going on) is a great way to slow your car down, a lot!

What are you shifting at? If you short shift the MPH should be relatively close (to not S.S.) just your ET will be higher.

Ex: I raced my 02Z ran like 13.70's @ 102, If I put it in 2nd gear and the car started out like a dog, it would run 15.50 @99.

8. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Computer controls shifting...its pretty cool. Currently shifts are set at 6300 RPM if the throttle is held WOT. I might need to raise it though...? The shifts are lazy and take what seems like forever, especially the shift from 2nd to 3rd. This is with the shifter in D (3rd). I should have tried to shift it manually one run though, damn! Good idea.

However, since I had to roll into the gas off the line, I believe it shifted into 2nd before I went WOT in 1st.(hope that makes sense)

The car is currently holding down 4 jack stands in the garage as I yanked the center section out AGAIN due to gear whine. I'll get the front suspension addressed during this round as well.

Sounds as though I need to look at my transmission, shift points, and the tune for the trans too. Might be substantial ET to be had there. Thanks for pointing it out Vegas.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  9. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Update;

Replaced upper/lower bushings this weekend with MOOG products. I bought Del a lum bushings but after reading a bit on them and realizing I drive this car, I decided to go all rubber! Put new ball joints in upper and lower while I was at it.

Also, replaced the QA1 coil over's with MOOG 5664's. Slid a set of Bilstein drag shocks in the center of those and dropped it back on its feet.

Overall, I am very happy with the ride and it brought my front end up about 1.25".

Maybe this will help with my traction issues...? It definitely helped with my lack of ride quality issue.

10. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^
    This won't help at the track (most likely you decreased the amount of ft end travel), but as long as it rides on the street well that's all that matters :)