1968 327 CE block engine code

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by LT1 WS6, Aug 30, 2016.

1. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

I know this is a little older than 2nd gens but I'm not a part of any 1st gen boards. I'm hoping someone might be able to help all the same.

My friend recently acquired a 327 that we know is a Chevrolet Engine aka crate engine from 1968 given that it has stamping CE839012 on the front pad. What's a little confusing to us is the date stamping which has the engine option code. It's stamped V0109HT. We know this is an engine built in Flint, Michigan on January 9th. I can't find any information stating that HT is indeed the same 350hp 327/4 speed engine that was available in a 68 Corvette that would have carried the HT stamp. Can anyone confirm that the engine code was the same for a crate engine as it would have been for the production engine? Have a source too possibly?

For the record, the block and heads carry the correct stamping/casting for a 350/327 or L79 engine as it's called. I'm fairly certain that HT does mean it's the same L79 from a Corvette. I just can't find any confirmation of that information.

Thank you

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The CE engines I've seen did not have the factory engine stamp for the original application like V0109HT. They had only the CE stamp.
    Engines replaced under warranty were shipped to the dealer replacing it and would not have an original assembly line engine stamp on them. It is possible that some dealers would have stamped the replacement engine with the same numbers used on the original engine when they installed it, but my experience tells me that it wasn't done all the time.
    You need to check all the internal and external engine components to see exactly what was put into it at replacement time. A '68 L79 should have dome pistons and 2.02 valves in the heads. The original heads were 3917291, but when the engine was replaced, the heads may have also been replaced and could be any similar casting that Chevy had available. The 291 head was very popular and used on most of the 327 engines sold in 1967 and 1968.
    The '68 L79 had a cast iron intake and quadrajet carb. The intake would be no different than the intake on any other 4bbl 327 of that year, but the carb should have a unique number for Corvette L79, 7028219 for manual tranny. I can't find a listing for Corvette L79 with auto tranny. Perhaps it wasn't available.

3. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Thanks Gary. The engine hasn't been opened up that far yet. I can confirm the block and head casting numbers are L79 specific numbers. I'll see about the rest.

The story that came along with the engine was that it was pulled from a street rod 30+ years ago. The original builder/owner of the street rod had connections at a local GM dealer and would regularly buy crate engines to build his cars. He was wealthy enough that he'd change them out simply to have something different. That's why the engine is a crate engine and was pulled and set aside. I wonder if it would have been possible to walk in and order an L79 327 as a crate engine?

L79 in a vette would have been 4 speed only.

Thanks

4. Gary S

Yes, you could order any engine Chevy made and have it delivered to your dealer. This one however has a factory style engine stamp in addition to the CE stamp. That leads me to think it might have been installed in a car under warranty.

5. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Does anyone know a value on this engine? My friend has taken the engine apart to examine it. The engine shows minimal wear on all surfaces like you'd expect with a low mileage engine. It is indeed standard bore. The only thing they did find different is the engine was balanced. He's not interested in keeping the engine since he doesn't have a car to put it in. Besides, with it having the stamping and casting numbers that it does, he'd rather see it go to someone needing this engine to complete a restoration.

Thanks.

6. Gary S

Value is determined by what you find the engine has in it. Does it have the domed forged pistons for high compression? The head casting would be the same one as other 327 engines for 1968, but for this application, they would have 2.02 valves. It also should have the higher lift L79 cam. The block and intake should be the same as any other 1968 327 engine with 4bbl.
    If it has those L79 specific parts, it would have good value for someone needing one for a Corvette, or even possibly for a Chevelle even though it has the HT code.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

HP for the L79 in 68 for passenger cars was 325 . my malibu was an L79 car . all were 4 speeds in passenger cars . the passenger car motors switched from aluminum intake / holly carb in 67 to cast iron intake and rochester carb i 68

8. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Thanks guy!. I appreciate the response.