1970-71 California plates, pair

Discussion in 'Swap Meet Section' started by Knucklehead, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

You both correct and incorrect. You are correct about the color changeover. But the staggered registration did not begin in California until January 1976, so before that, only a single year sticker was issued, with the location alternating L and R. The 1969 sticker was supposed to go in the left well, while the 1970 sticker went in the right well. Now that the state has staggered registration, the month sticker lives in the left well, and the year stickers go in the right well. If you look on ebay, you will see pre-76 plates with no monthly sticker. A "natural" plate will only have a single year sticker, meaning it was issued during the indicated year. These are the ones that license plate collectors seek.

I have been collecting plates for ~50 years, and have a nearly complete set of natural Calif plates. Am reducing my inventory, which is why I offered the above plates for sale. I also have a beautiful pair of black 1969 Calif plates -- so it has a single 69 sticker in the left well and no other stickers. $100 plus postage.

2. 4937carroll

4937carroll New Member

3. 4937carroll

4937carroll New Member

I would like to buy the blue California license plates. Please contact me. My email is 4937carroll@gmail.com...thanks

4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

4937-
    My apologies for missing your earlier message. The plates were sold two weeks ago. Thanks for your interest.

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

Found a single black Calif plate (no mate) with a 70 sticker. This is a natural 1970 plate with number ZYY 921. This is very nearly the last black 63-70 Calif plate issued (last one was ZZY 999). $50 plus postage. Please send PM if interested.

6. DessertRat

DessertRat New Member

Pm sent about the black set

7. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I have a mint condition 70-71 Florida passenger car plate, white on blue. Number 49-1937. $40 post paid.

8. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

Found a nice pair of yellow on blue Calif plates, number 687 PEB, which would have been issued in late 1976 or early 1977. Can't tell what the earliest sticker is, as has stickers through 1981. $50 plus $7.50 priority postage.

9. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

Could also be into 1978. My all original 1979 Pontiac Trans am has it's original blue/yellow plates (along with STEVENS PONTIAC LOS GATOS license plate frame matching the build sheet) and the plates are 676WSW. Picture from a few years ago:

stevens1.jpg

10. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

According to the ALPCA (license plate collectors) web site, the yellow on blue plates that had P as the first letter in the suffix were issued in 1976 and 77. Not important to most people, but those looking for original plates that actually were issued in their year, it can make a difference. Since the Calif DMV distributed them in bulk to their various offices around the state, they were not issued in strict numerical order. Not an exact science.

SG71SS likes this.