1970 Camaro 6 Cylinder with a 3 Speed Manual

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 70 Six Banger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Alex, great that you decided to share your find and info with us. It's true you almost never see survivor 6 cyl. cars anymore, let alone 3-speed on the floor.. About 10+ years ago I saw a Mulsanne blue w/blue interior 6 cyl car sell on eBay for $7 or 8K. It was a 1 owner car and still in amazing condition with hardly any options. Wished I had bought it but I was spending lots of money on my L78 resto at the time.
    Definitely looks like you're on the right track preserving the car! I agree the car will get way more attention as a survivor compared to just another modified Camaro.

gpm6367 likes this.
  2. checkmate201

checkmate201 1970 SS 350 4sp 06 C

For the horns you could use The Horn Works car horn restoration https://www.carhornrestoration.com/

3. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Wonderful car Alex, glad to see you keeping it as is.

gpm6367 likes this.
  4. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger New Member

Thank you all for the kind words, and Checkmate...thanks for the tip for a good horn rebuilder.

I have owned several 1st Gen Camaros, but the '70 was always my favorite. My dad took me to Crescent Chevrolet in Des Moines, IA to see the new '70 in Feb or Mar...freezing cold when we walked into the warm showroom to see a red base coupe with a black interior. I had seen the new Camaro in magazine ads, but to see it in front of me was jaw dropping...a breathtakingly beautiful car for a 12 yr-old boy to lust after. It had a much greater visual impact than the pretty but softer 1st Gens (IMHO). I still get a thrill every time I go out in the garage and see "Froggy" sitting there, but visually moving even while it's sitting still. First Gens don't have that same effect on me. Two other cars had a similarly profound effect on me...seeing the first '63 Corvette (a silver roadster with a red interior) when I was 5 years-old, and the first '64 1/2 Mustang...a white coupe with a red interior at Henderson Ford in Springfield, IL on April 17, 1964...people waited in a long line in chilly rain to come into the showroom to see the roped-off coupe.

I really have no other choice but to keep Froggy as it is. When I am driving the car I am propelled back to similar cars I drove in high school...a couple of different GTOs, but the same basic GM corporate feel. Froggy handles and rides well, and nearly every driver stares at it as we go past. And if I painted the car, all of that wonderful patina would be lost. Froggy feels very much like a time machine with all of that patina and character, even more so when listening to a Doors or Aerosmith CD. And the knowledge that nothing on the car has ever been changed (other than a few minor items...and unfortunately the original engine) gives me a sense of driving a piece of history. I have toyed with the idea of dropping $35k on a restoration (it would probably be more), but then I'd have guys saying I had wasted my money on a 6 banger, and I think I'd regret having erased the patina. And Froggy is usually the only completely original Camaro at the few shows it's been to, and most guys appreciate it for what it is.

I'm posting a couple of pictures of the carburetor to give you an idea of the originality of this car...the wires to the temp sensor are still wrapped in their original tape and held in place by a small bracket that is bolted to the exhaust manifold. The carb's heat shield is still in place, as well as the TCS solenoid, and all of the parts still work. The original Delco-Remy coil still fires the plugs, and the engine runs like a top.

I will post a couple of pictures of its unusual Van Nuys jack tomorrow...completely different from a Norwood jack, and I can take the trunk mat out if anyone wants photos of that.

Attached Files:

AEGIS43 and gpm6367 like this.
  5. tjmugg

tjmugg Member

I see a great car for your son to learn on. Just like we did. The reality is that most Camaro's will not have what yours does. You have plenty of other toys.

gpm6367 likes this.
  6. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

Awesome car, story and history. I love the original paperwork. I agree with you that preservation, not restoration or modification, is the way to go. Froggy is lucky that some hack looking to make a resto mod didn’t buy her.

Nothing against modified but don’t start with a clean original car. HMM has been doing a feature on a low buck resto mod and started with a clean original 69 which they picked apart, sold off original parts to pay for modified crap, made me queazy...the horror, the horror...

7. Bi11

Bi11 New Member

I always wanted to find a car like that and build up the I6, put a turbo on it, etc. I saw a 50ish Chevy I6 truck turbo'd at a car show many years ago and that idea stuck with me. A Camaro with that setup would be unique and a lot of fun to drive.

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Did you get the original motor with the car or is it long gone?

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

I like the direction you are taking with your Camaro. The only thing I'd not do is the matte clear. I'd just keep it clean and waxed. If it had bare metal surface rust, then I'd matte clear.

10. ruffis

ruffis New Member

I like what you are doing and the fact that you appreciate preserving the cars! I would love to see more car shows that focus on unrestored and imperfect cars. Cars that have character and show their age are far more interesting to me than fully restored cars. I had a 69 Nova that was a straight 6 as my first car and I loved it!