1970 Camaro 6 Cylinder with a 3 Speed Manual

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 70 Six Banger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had my horns restored by the Horn Works and they did a nice job.

Yes Van Nuys jacks are different as they used a different supplier. Trunk mats were only included on cars with Deluxe Interior so someone paid extra $$ to get the trunk mat.

2. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger New Member

Thanks All for the replies. L78, I think Dodi had the dealership install the mat. It is almost in NOS condition. The original floor mats also came with the car and are in used but decent condition. Women never change anything on their cars, and most of the cars I have purchased in the last few years were bought new by women. Dodi even kept the original dealer key fob from Connell Chevrolet and it's still with the car.

Attached are photos of Froggy's jack. I looked on here for photos of original jacks and discovered that Norwood and Van Nuys jacks were different (and that "L78" did much of that research...thanks). My car's jack measures either 32 3/4" or 33" long (hard for me to tell), has no date at the top of the mast, was originally painted black (both jacking mechanism and base), and the load rest has the GM #3990416 with a "U" below it. The jack handle is 20 1/2" long and has an "0" above the lug end. The plastic jack cover has the GM #3984010 on it. I would say this is definitely the original jack as Dodi never changed anything on the car.

I know that original cars supply most of the info for the rest, and I'll be glad to supply any info you guys need. BTW, I have a '74 Firebird for sale that still has its original 6 cylinder and 3-speed manual trans. It would provide a good drivetrain for someone wanting to create a replica of Froggy or return a modified V8 Camaro to its original configuration, and I would be willing to sell the drivetrain separate from the car...I'm sure whoever buys the F-bird will probably junk the drivetrain (a shame, but that's currently what usually happens). I can provide photos to anyone who's interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  3. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger New Member

More 1970 Camaro Van Nuys jack photos

Attached Files:

4. jeff84red

jeff84red Member

5. jeff84red

jeff84red Member

My first Camaro was a 74 green six/3 speed manual with a black vinyl top, hub caps. am radio with no other options. It had 1600 miles on it back then. A young lady purchased the car and could not afford the insurance. Gates Chevrolet in Benton Harbor Michigan sold me the car. I did the typical young puke stuff like added air shocks, big stereo, stripes, Cragar wheels and the front and rear spoliers. Drove it 178K miles until it was wrecked in the 1980 Kalamazoo Tornado. I drove it home and sat in the garage for hours trying to see if it could be repaired. Unfortunately the insurance Co totaled it out and that was that. I wish I still had it. It was fun to drive and easy on gas. Glad to see more of the six bangers coming back to life.

6. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

I love it!!!

I will admit, that I have as of yet only read your first post, and you had me momentarily going with this bit:
    Thank goodness you were joking!

I would love to own, if I had the space and money an early Firebird much like yours - I saw a guy on another forum has a inline six three on the tree Firebird - that is SUPER cool to me!!

ok... now, it looks like i have a couple pages of reading to catch up on!!

7. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

I was going to edit my last post, but maybe I'll just make a new reply;

If you were on the west coast, I'd suggest a couple dismantlers for you to check out on the correct wheels for your car - I suspect that most 14x6 steel wheels used on second gen cars would be the same, but I also understand wanting to get the exact correct parts.
    I did my own legwork and actually ended up buying a set of four 1970-14x7 'CL' wheels for my car from a member here;
    You may find it mildly amusing that, my wheels appear to be the same colour as your car, and they too came from LA!

I thought I had your wheel code recorded in my word document, but it looks like I don't have any 14x6" steel wheel information...just 14x7" steel wheels, and Pontiac 'Rally II' wheels.
    Do you know which code wheel you're looking for?
    I could probably figure out the code if you don't have it.

I personally understand your hesitation to restore the car, but if you come to that crossroads, I'd say do it - just don't change anything significant which might take away from the overall appeal and original nature of the car.
    You could add a period radio with the single dash speaker, and compliment them with a 'redi-rad' so that you can play music from any device with an audio jack...

I'll be subscribed to this thread to read more about your adventures :)

Attached Files:

8. chris s

chris s New Member

9. schow

schow New Member

10. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger New Member

70 Ram Air 3...I bought a dark blue '70 GTO with a Ram Air 3 and a 4-speed in 1976 from People's Finance Co in Des Moines, IA for $800. It was rusty, but ran great, and was a real surprise out on the streets as it had a 3.73 gear set and could really rip the pavement in stop light duels. I sold it to buy a red '70 Boss 302 for $1,600...those were the days!

The wheels that are currently on Froggy are CL code wheels that were the same fugly color of green as your wheels (it's a small world). I painted them with spray paint I had mixed at the local NAPA store...a 12-oz can is only $35 and was a dead-on match. I am looking for AM code 14x6 wheels and haven't had any luck finding them for several months. I have a complete set of FC code wheels from a Frost Green '69 Camaro (again, about the same green as yours) and they will work on the rear due to being for drum brakes, and I have toyed with the idea of having 2 modified for the front disk brakes by Wheel Vintiques up in the Detroit area, but am still looking for those stupid correct wheels (obviously I am one of those idiotic "purists"...puke). The current wheels look great, but they aren't correct for a '70 base car and they will probably go sometime next year. I may try and source a set from your fellow Albertan, Dave at Dave's Camaros in Edmonton...I believe he has the largest supply of 2nd Gen F-bodies in existence. The only fly in that ointment would be the shipping cost to Ohio...probably over $500. BTW...nice Firebird!

Jeff84...you could always buy my '74 F-bird, strip the drivetrain and sell the rolling body and recoup your costs. The body is actually in nice shape and will make a nice rebody for somebody with a rusty TA or Formula. It's impossible to kill those high school car (and girl) memories, isn't it?!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019