1970 Camaro - Brake, Reverse and Taillight issue - Wiring Diagram ?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Smokin'Joe, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A friend and I took our cars out for a cruise the other day and when we got home, he told me none of my taillights were working (all the front lights work perfectly ). - I spent the past few days testing fuses and running down wires and checking grounds, but everything looks ok.

There appears to be a short somewhere as when I push the brake pedal, the taillights and rear side marker lights come on. If I put it in reverse (M21), the taillights come on and if I turn on the headlights, nothing at the back of the car comes on. Short of rewiring the cabin, I'm kindof at my wits end on this.
    All the bulbs are good and nothing in the trunk has been altered and the connections in the trunk look fine.

Just wondering if anyone has run into anything similar and if anyone might have a wiring diagram for the cabin of a 1970. There is a diagram here on Nasty, but it's for a 1973 and has a few differences than what's under my dash.

Thanks to all !

-

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First off, you need to inspect the wiring at the brake switch.

Have you done anything to the drivers side kick panel, door skid plate, or back seat panel? That's where the wires go through.

Also, look under the dash and see if the rear wiring connector is showing and is properly connected. Look inside the upper driver side trunk to see if any wiring is out of place or damaged.

Lastly, be on the lookout for "rodent signs" inside the cabin...they eat wiring.

I'll see if I can find a wiring drawing...maybe someone else will post first.

3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's a drawing from Classic:

[​IMG]

4. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey Fla, Thanks for the wiring diagram and the tips.

I drive my car pretty regularly so no chance for any critters to get in there, and everything was working fine until now. - I was messing with the heater control switches last and did have the dash apart on that side. I was wondering if I could have done something then and have pulled everything back apart bit it all looks good.

I appreciate the diagram. I'll blow it up and print it out and start going thru wire by wire and if I can't figure it out, I guess it'll be about time to replace the interior and dash wiring harnesses anyway.

Thanks for the post and if anyone else had any similar issues that they resolved, please chime in as well.

Thanks !

-