1970 Camaro Z28 RS (Looking to Purchase)

Discussion in 'Camaros Wanted' started by B Rod, Oct 16, 2019.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

This one depends on if you want a general driver with what looks like good paint or a numbers correct restoration(or at least close to that). This one falls into the first description, not the second. Many expensive and hard to find original parts are missing. Block in my opinion is a re-stamp.
    Just listened to the video...weird sound part way through and the engine sounds like it is surging. Hard to tell.
    IMHO he is asking too much by about 5 to 10 grand.. Just my opinion from looking at the pictures.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Just curious....what makes you think it's a re-stamp?

3. 70lt1z28

Norwood cars of this timeframe didn’t have the VIN stamped on the pad by the alternator but had them stamped on the raw casting by the oil filter. That and the broach marks aren’t right. Looks like it has been decked.

4. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

The RH fender is not original to the car because of the oblong indentation above the wheel well. That started in mid-74. Could be a later NOS fender.

5. 70lt1z28

Lots of things like this on that car...
    Not to rag on this car too much. It looks like a nice driver and I do like the color. Again, it depends on what you want the car to be. With a non-original engine you can really run the car hard without much fear of damaging something that is putting alot of value in the car.

6. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

My Z was 05/70 and it has the VIN on the pad behind the alternator. I'm the 3rd owner, and I spoke with the original owner. I also spoke with a line worker who actually stamped numbers on blocks, who concurred. Funny, he says that engine stamping had a nebulous past with when and where they were done. He also pointed out that there were many exceptions to the rules. He's also seen crooked stamps, and double stamps....all legitimate from the factory. I guess it comes down to : Do you trust who you speak with?. It appears that the more people you speak with, the more irregularities you discover. Thanks for your response. I enjoy exchanging info.

7. 70lt1z28

Is your a Norwood or Van Nuys car?
    Norwood was a Fisher Body plant in 1970 and Van Nuys was a GMAD. Different rules on things like this. That's why the VIN moved to the alternator area during the 1972 year as Norwood changed to a GMAD plant (and the resulting 220 day strike)
    That said, its obviously not impossible for the stamps to be misplaced. The other thing is everyone wants to have an original, matching numbers car so the rules often get "bent" to apply to their car. You have to look at the entire package and make up your mind on each car. It wasn't just the number on the alternator area pad, it was also the faint swirl marks that look to be from a rotary cutter typically seen when decking a block. There are a few other things to look at on that pad that are clues that I won't disclose on a public forum. The factory used a huge (3 stories tall) broach machine that did the cylinder head surfaces and the main bearing areas in one motion. These machine patterns are very hard to perfectly duplicate.

8. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Norwood

9. B Rod

B Rod New Member

Gents, winter in near... Don’t store your 70 Z28 sell it. Haha Still looking!!

Will consider 1971 Z28 rs 4 spd numbers up...

Thanks,

10. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Good luck. It took me a long time to find a decent one.