1970 Floor Mats

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by gpm6367, Jul 3, 2019.

1. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

067E66AD-762A-4203-AFC4-27C2D9A69867.png Where floor mats dealer installed like Corvettes?

I want OEM style floor mats. Are these correct for a 70?

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

They were an accessory. Generally It was up to the dealer to supply them for a particular new car if he opted to. Upscale cars like Lincoln or Cadillac may have come from the factory with mats. The mats shown are correct for several GM cars from 1970 including Camaro. I don't know for sure, but I don't believe all of the older Vetts came with mats. But they could be bought at a Chevy dealer's parts dept.

Several years ago I bought a 4 piece set of the mats that Restoration Parts is offering except I got them from CI. Because the original mats were made for A, B and F body cars a little trimming is necessary so that they fit right, especially the rear mats. In fact I'd suggest not buying the rear mats due to the poor fit in an F body floor pan even when trimmed. The thickness, ridges and logo of the reproduction mats is very good

Lincoln

gpm6367 likes this.
  3. gpm6367

Thanks. It was the same with the Corvettes of that era as well. They were dealer accessories. I like OEM mats but seems a bit pricey. Gotta check off epay...

4. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

I just bought a set of these mats. They should be here next week. $120 shipped off DR Classic Ebay posting. I'll report back on the fit and finish. I guess I'll have some saddle floor mats for sale or trade soon.
    thumbnail_IMG_3934.jpg

gpm6367 likes this.
  5. gpm6367

Classic Copper with saddle...sweet...

6. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I have a set from e-bay on wifeys 67 [not D+R or regular parts sellers a random seller]probably 5-7 years old,falling apart/wont stay up on footwell rolls down gets jammed under gas/brake both sides.I spoke with a guy at a show who had same issues on his GTO, he said he bought his new set from inline tube I believe and he said they make their own and are better than the other ones as he had same issue.Supposedly they do not sell to other venders? IDK.They do show different rear mats for our Camaro's so they fit between the seat tracks,mine do not I think are for chevelle or bench seats [rears]-I find it hard to believe that 2 makers make same limited interest part but I'm not satisfied with mine and I did pay $120 ish shipped 5-7 years ago.Next year I'm getting new and I will inquire via phone with inline tube and see if what I was told is true.I would at least remove them from the car when not in use and let them lay flat.If you find out anything let us know-Later Steve!!

7. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The reproduction 1970 mats are apparently pretty good, and as close as you're going to get unless you can find originals. Only slight differences....

Original and reproduction comparison
    3 LARGE SNIP.PNG
    4 LARGE SNIP.PNG

And here are some original rear mats from members here. Left is original '70 L34 car/Right original '70 Z/28
    Left Scott Kliene '70 L34 and Right Jack Seymour '70 Z28 rear mats LARGE.PNG

8. gpm6367

To be clear, is there a gen 2 mat? 70-73? Or just the ones on epay for 67 and later?

9. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

The Restoration Parts mats shown in your first post are about as close to original as your going to find.
    They probably have the large border as pictured on the left in BUDZ photo. The fronts can be trimmed down to fit your floor pan. The Ebay 1967 and up probably wouldn't fit a second gen floor pan very well.

10. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

What I noticed about the DR mats is the profile cut away for the Z28 floor mounted accelerator pedal. I'm assuming the factory mats did not have this feature. Legendary Interiors sells a vinyl floor mat with a notch cut out for the floor pedal too. I had a set of dark green ones. Not a factory correct mat but they were nice.