1970 Heater Control Poll

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by gpm6367, Sep 11, 2019.

1. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

A7E38D7E-ABE7-4851-BEAF-1B0C18F2CEBF.png If you have a 70 with heat only what does your controller say? “Heater” or “air”?

What assembly plant ?

What build date?

2. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

AIR on mine. Norwood. 6C

gpm6367 likes this.
  3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    gpm6367 likes this.
  4. gpm6367

Thx I ordered one. How do i get the handles off so as to remove the plastic cover?

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

gpm6367 and Budz like this.
  6. gpm6367

7. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

I rehab a lot of A/C control units at work. Usually 66-67 Chevelle units but the process is the same. I use a #2 and #4 flat blade screwdriver along with a pair of needle nose pliers with really narrow tips. Both screwdriver tips need to be good and square (as in LIKE NEW). Don't try and use some 40 year old POS that's rounded off and worn down.
    1... Start with the #2 flat blade screwdriver. Just below the knob there will be a small step in each side of the metal lever. Stick the blade between the step and the bottom of the knob from the side. Gently twist the screwdriver both ways to start the knob moving off the lever. Repeat the process on the other side of the blade.
    2... As soon as it will fit, switch to the #4 screwdriver and repeat the whole process again.
    3... Once the gap between the step on the blade and the bottom of the knob is large enough, slip the needle nose pliers in from the top or bottom as far as they will go. Gently squeeze them and rock the pliers up and down until you can remove the knob. Keep inching the pliers further into the slots so you don't get too much slack. This can dent the corners of the knob. The knobs can be removed and replaced several times if necessary as long as you don't get crazy with them. It's also easy to polish the knobs with some #0000 fine steel wool while they are off, too. Hope this helps...

gpm6367 and 70 Proof like this.
  8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Norwood 05E
    IMG_4178.JPG

9. gpm6367

Thanks so much for taking the time to write out that process.

The knobs are so close to the face of the controller how do you stick the blade of screwdriver in from the side?

The “side” of the arm is the edge of the metal arm. The top is the width of the arm...you still mean the side?

Any chance you have one on the bench to show? Pictures worth a thousand words...

10. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Quote: The “side” of the arm is the edge of the metal arm. The top is the width of the arm...you still mean the side?

That is correct...

I don't have one here at the house but I do have a bunch at the shop. At first the gap between the knob and the notch in the lever is very small. That's why you use the smaller screwdriver. Removal is done with twisting motion, not prying motion.

gpm6367 likes this.