1970 RS SS rear filler panel

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by KT 70 RS SS, Aug 15, 2019.

1. KT 70 RS SS

KT 70 RS SS New Member

I have a 1970 Camaro that need the rear filler panel replace. I purchased one that was cut out of another car. Not sure if I should try and use it or buy a new one. But it looks like adding the hinges may be more work that I may not be able to do. Any suggestions..

Attached Files:

2. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

looks like solid piece ,that is not a quick job to do and will require careful removal as not to create extra work. i would not buy aftermarket.you have enough material to use .take the decklid off and remove all the seam sealer where the piece meets the 1/4 panels and use a spotweld removal bit to drill the spotwelds. where they cut the panel at the front you will save trimming that for last.the area that is cut to match in the channel will be where you will make sure and align evenly because it is a butt weld. also underneath the part you will have other bracketry to deal with.take your time if in doubt stop and ask

bodymanbill likes this.
  3. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

i see you have a trunk drop off panel in the pic,hows the 1/4's if that is something getting replaced(the 1/4's) you might do the hinge along with them.

4. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Also make sure u test fit the decklid with the weather strip and the filler panel installed before welding anything.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. KT 70 RS SS

KT 70 RS SS New Member

Should I only cut and piece where its needed. The original hinges and metal around them are still good.

6. KT 70 RS SS

KT 70 RS SS New Member

The 1/4 panels are both solid. They were replaced years ago and held up. The trunk drop panel on the passenger side is all that needs to be replaced.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. KT 70 RS SS

KT 70 RS SS New Member

I will post pics of all the spots cleaned up before I start doing any cutting and post them for more consulting. Thanks to both responses and great advise.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. bodymanbill

image.jpg image.jpg Here's a couple pics of mine when removed, yours will be a little easier since its a used panel and already has the trunk hinges and trunk support brackets on it.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. KT 70 RS SS

KT 70 RS SS New Member

I dont have a complete panel. He cut just above the hinge tension bars. Thats why I was considering cutting below the hinges that are still good on original panel Your thoughts..

10. bodymanbill

Dam I just noticed its cut to short on the front, that su&ks. Might have to go with a new one and transfer over all the stuff just because he was probably 2 inches short. U could section it up there if yours is good but id probably just get a new one.