1970 RS Urethane Nose Piece fitting

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jondebo, Jan 21, 2020.

1. jondebo

jondebo Veteran Member

I'm in the process of mounting the nose piece and it predictably doesn't fit well. Any tips on adjustment points? The factory assembly manual that I have seems to show that I have all the parts for 1970. The two brackets that mount to the rad. support are both fully tight and I have a large gap on the passenger side while the driver side is pressed against the upper valance. I do see two small wholes in the upper valance (yellow dots in pic). I was thinking I could get a short sheet metal screw and draw the urethane in on the passenger side using the yellow dotted hole. Thoughts? The upper and lower valance seem to be well lined up and the rad. support seems to be about 1/8" towards the cowl on either side. You can see that the hood is misaligned. The fenders also likely need adjustment so I may not be able to get it lined up well until all of that is done. Thoughts? 20200121_105644.jpg 20200118_174418_LI.jpg 20200121_150324.jpg 20200121_104050.jpg 20200121_150347.jpg

2. jondebo

jondebo Veteran Member

I have the nose piece mounted with the driver side mounting bolts all the way to the back of their oval mounting holes (ie, driver side all the way forward) and the passenger side all the way to the front of their mounting holes (ie, all the way towards the cowl). This is how it stands in the overhead photo.

3. jondebo

jondebo Veteran Member

Basically, it's the bolts aren't as you see them in the close of photo of the brackets.

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Ive read that you have to play around with holes, possibly elongate them, and/or use washers to space accordingly. Im not there yet, but I bought a RS setup from a car that was already lined up, hopefully it wont take much to get straight.

20190720_120012.jpg

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You have to sand and fill the nose to fit the metal.If you start pulling that thing in too far,youll be cracking paint.I used Evercoats two part epoxy filler for urethane.Its cheaper than 3Ms,and you dont need a special double shooter caulk gun.The only thing I wrestled with(conscience wise,lol)was making a small notch,uptop,where the factory folds the sheet metal on the upper,in the center.Nose scribes in perfect,and still looks good to this day. rsfillnsand.jpg

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  6. krabben1

rsnose.jpg

7. krabben1

Also,I'll add,thats an OER repop,which are pretty nice,but require filling.You can see in the second photo I called it good enough down at the bottom,due to time constraints.I also cut a 2 x 4 in an hour glass shape,and bolted it where the center bar goes as a handle,when constantly checking fit,then sanding ,then filling,and so on.Unfortunatly of all the build photos I took,there were non of the nose fitment,just finished product.

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

When I installed the 71 nose on my 81, I started by lining up the doors, fenders, hood, core support and the header. When I got all the gaps the way I wanted them, I installed the valance. Then I started fitting the nose. (this had all been installed and fitted before paint, so I know what the fitment and gaps 'should' look like) Even with pre-paint fitment, I had to add some shims between the nose and it's mounting brackets to get both sides to align. There are a lot of parts associated w/ the RS nose and they all have to align before the rubber bumper will align.

9. jondebo

jondebo Veteran Member

Okay, thanks guys. I don't have the skill or patience to do it if it's going to be that tedious. I've messed with it a bunch and it's not even close. Will save up until I have a chance to take it to someone who can do it for me. I'm in the SF Bay Area so evrything is astronomically priced.

10. jondebo

jondebo Veteran Member

Basically, I was a young fool when I had the car painted. The nose piece was not on the car when he delivered it to me. We had a bit of a parting of ways as I was not at all happy with the paint job. Fast forward 20 years and here I am finally putting the nose on . Ha! Now I'm just an older fool.