1970 upper and lower door panels

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by z930, Sep 4, 2018.

1. z930

z930 Member

I have a 70 z with bright blue standard interior. I am looking to restore the upper and lower door panels. From everything I have found the reproductions for the upper are not a good match. I have also tried several dyes and they seem to be off a shade or two.

I spoke with Just dashes and they will restore the uppers and lower and color match. Very expensive option about 1k.

Question is just dashes the best and only option?
    to color match would I am thinking the back side of the plastic panel would be the best place for them to match from?

any suggestion?

2. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Just dashes does hard plastic?
    I thought they only did padded door panels (Deluxe).
    The Blue color rarely matched between the plastic, the vinyl seats, and the leatherette paper on the center section of the door panels the from the factory.

NON BLACK Correct ORIGINAL interiors are usually many different shades or tints of the same color.

3. z930

z930 Member

Sorry I was not clear, I am only talking about the hard plastic pieces and yes just Dashes will restore the standard upper and lower.
    I know the colors between the hard plastics and other door parts will be slightly different.

What I am finding is there is a big difference in colors from the different dyes for the hard plastics. Also the aftermarket door panels have more of a silver tint vs blue so I will just stick with my original door panels. SEM dye appears to be the closest in color.

I was considering purchasing new hard plastic re-pops and to use a dye to color match VS letting just dashes redo the hard plastic panels. Based on my limited search the reviews on the new panels is they do not fit very good.

So for bright blue interior it sound like just dashes is the best option. Are there any other options?

4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

if std. door pannels i would buy new. a good paint store should be able to match the die.delux pannels a different story.

5. z930

z930 Member

Hogg, do you have any experience with the new panels? from what I have read they do not fit like the factory. Just dash said when they use the aftermarket lowers, they have to build the door panels to fit the hard plastic (that is for deluxe), his point was they do not fit like the originals?

If anyone has had good luck with the upper and lowers hard plastic panels for a standard interior that would be a much cheaper route then Just dashes.

6. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

What does Just dashes do to the plastic panels?

FWIW - If you want the correct color, take one of your original plastic panels to the local paint jobber and have them scan the BACK SIDE FOR A COLOR MATCH, then have them mix a quart of dye.
    I had the Neutral panels scanned
    102_0174.JPG

as well as the chocolate brown A pillars for refinishing them and the dash.

102_9944.JPG

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a complete blue interior, from my 71 Z RS, the top rails had the sun bake them , however the rest seems really nice, and I am going with black, even have the blue dash , the car was originally cortez silver with blue interior , let me know if you have any interest,
    Thanks

8. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

That's what I was going to suggest, no reason to ever have issues with a color match if you have the original piece or something that can be scanned and an outfit that can do this

9. z930

z930 Member

just dashes said they can restore the upper and lower plastic panels back to the original condition and match the color. Both my uppers and lowers are sun baked/chalky. Back in the mid 1970's the uppers had vinyl installed to cover up the sun baking. The pic is what they look like now after removing the vinyl from the uppers and coats of paint/dye from the lowers.

Attached Files: