1971 Camaro Build/Restoration-Starting young

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by YOUNGIN71Z28, Dec 11, 2016.

1. YOUNGIN71Z28

YOUNGIN71Z28 New Member

Hello all those of Nasty-Z28 my name is Anthony and I'm an owner of a 1971 Camaro that I restored throughout high school and will be continuing to work on through college and beyond. I thought I'd join the community for advice and pointers on the ongoing process of building these American icons and attempting to bring them to their full potential.

My car currently has an aging frame off restoration that me and my father completed in our garage a few years back. The car was a 307 from birth, and when we bought it had a 327 sbc and a th350. We proceeded to convert it to a Saginaw four speed however, after going through a few saginaw cluster gears we decided to make the investment into a TKO600. The most recent modification has been a swap to a bbc.

BBC Specs:
    -454 Chevrolet Four Bolt Main Block
    -0.30 Overbore
    -(-22cc) Domed Pistons (Speed Pro)
    -Edelbrock E-Street Cylinder Heads
    -Performer RPM Intake
    -Holley 750 CFM Carb
    -Cast Crank
    -Resized Stock Forged Rods
    -Summit Racing Camshaft
    -114LSA
    -0.540 Lift
    -228/238 Duration
    -Hydraulic Flat Tappet
    -Summit Racing Headers 1 3/4" Primaries
    -Aluminum Water Pump
    ~10.25:1 CR

The car is currently lime green with black stripes as can be seen in the photo, the only difference is a cowl hood that was required to clear the higher motor. My dad and I painted it ourselves with lots of tribulations but when it comes to paint I feel as if the learning curve is steep. The motor is cooled by a cheap Chinese radiator I found on Ebay and I eliminated the mechanical fans with the two cheap electric fans that came with the radiator. The battery of the car is in the trunk and a 10 bolt posi is in the rear as well. We recently replaced the front A-Arm Bushings and swapped out the old small block springs for some stiffer MOOG springs and put a 7/8" rear sway bar in as well.

The car has a new full quarter panel, right trunk drop off, right rear wheelwell and tail panel all installed in house. Numerous body panels are taken from a parts car we bought from a neighbor. The car is now, thankfully, rust free. And I'd say it's a good 10 footer haha presentable but not perfect.

Many more modifications are coming in the future and I'll be happy to share them with all of you browsing this great forum. I'm currently in school in Washington studying Mechanical Engineering and dream of working for a car manufacturer when I graduate. I also am hoping to make a Youtube channel doing vlogs and updates on my car if you'd like to follow me there the name will be the same Youngin71Z28.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Looks good man. Glad you are getting time with your father on the project. Welcome to you both.

3. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice job, I bet it's a lot better looking than a 10 footer to everyone else. Anytime you do the actual work and put the time and effort in to it, you'll notice every tiny flaw that most people won't even pick up on. I did my first paint job right out of highschool and I can promise you that yours is a lot better than mine. 20 plus years later and lots of paint jobs and I'm still learning. Great project, time well spent with Dad and an amazing car!

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome! It is always great to see another 71 being worked on. Lots of great people here with great advice to help you out when you need it.

5. YOUNGIN71Z28

YOUNGIN71Z28 New Member

It's been a few years since my last post, I've been busy in college as I'm getting a mechanical engineering degree; it’s been a long road but I'm nearing the end! The car has undergone some big changes, after putting around 1000 miles on the big block that I synopsized in my first post we had a critical oil pan failure. I realized this when I was out for a drive and noticed the oil pressure was reading near zero so over this last summer, I pulled the motor. After disassembly I found that the spot welds in the oil pan that held the small tray in it broke and it started rubbing against the crank creating metal particulate that ended up washing all the bearings. This was a hard lesson that you get what you pay for and cheap parts in the long run can cost you A LOT of money.

My dad and I then decided since the bottom end was likely damaged that we may as well build a stroker motor. After doing some research on stroker kits I found a company titled SkipWhitePerformance and looked through their eBay page. They had a 496 kit that you could customize to fit your needs with different upgrades as well. I opted for H beam rods, forged crankshaft, ARP rod bolts, 11-inch SFI flywheel and a SFI damper. I also upgraded and got the rods sized and had them balance the assembly. Lastly the kit also included WISECO -20cc forged pistons which would be put me at around 11.00:1 compression. Unfortunately, however, I bought the kit preemptively before I disassembled the motor which turned out to be a mistake as I assumed the bores would be fine whereas after being taken apart one of the cylinders had some pretty serious scoring. Back to the drawing board.

After talking with a neighbor who is a fellow hot rodder he pointed us to a machine shop in Everett near where I live on Whidbey Island called Performance Machine. We got in contact with the owner and told him we need to have the motor bored and since I bought the kit with +0.030" pistons I had to exchange them as we now needed to bore the block +0.060", consequently the whole assembly needed to be re-balanced. We also had Dave, the machinist, clearance the block and I sent him some main studs to strengthen the bottom end as well.

In the interim of this machine work I decided to take the car back apart and do restoration 2.0 this includes (bold=completed, not-bold=not completed):

-Installing a 4-point roll cage w/ harness bar
    -5 Point harnesses
    -Welding in subframe connector

-Removing the rear seat and creating a subwoofer/speaker panel
    -Prepping and painting the subframe, firewall, control arms, radiator support and misc. components
    -Applying split sleeve to the wiring along with a one wire alternator
    -Replacing the ball joints and control arms bushings
    -Proforged Ball Joints
    -Del-a-Lum Control arm bushings
    -Global West offset control arm shafts

-Replacing the 7/8” roll bar with a 1 3/8” one.
    -Switching the HEI ignition system to MSD programmable ignition.
    -Billet Distributor
    -MSD 6-AL Programmable Ignition Box
    -Super conductor wires
    -Blaster SS Coil
    -Amazon knock off Dynamat
    -Porting aluminum E-Street cylinder heads.
    -Assembling and installing long block and transmission.

Much of this still needs to be completed as you can see, and I will be on Thanksgiving break from school next weekend and will try my best to cross a lot of these off the list. We recently got the assembled and clearanced short block back from the machine shop and all the car needs now is many hours of work. I will keep you all updated. In the meantime, here’s some pictures of what I’ve done so far.
    Engine on Hoist.JPG Fenders Off.jpg Bare Metal Subframe.JPG Beginning Disassembly.jpg Grey Components.jpg Individual Combustion Chamber.jpg Beginning Disassembly.jpg Engine on Stand.jpg Grey Components.jpg Firewall Prepped.jpg Black Painted Firewall.JPG Firewall Primed.jpg Head Polished.jpg Currently.jpg

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  6. YOUNGIN71Z28

YOUNGIN71Z28 New Member

Here's a few more pictures, enjoy!

Oil Pan Pickup.jpg Oil Pan Tray.jpg Primered Subframe.JPG Roll Cage Box.JPG Roll Cage Installed.JPG Roll Cage Painted.jpg Roll Cage Subframe Connector Installed.JPG Roll Cage Unpainted.jpg Subframe Connector Underside.JPG Subframe Connector Uninstalled.jpg Subframe Connector Welded.jpg Subframe Installed Painted.jpg

Anthony

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Welcome back! Great to see you've got a plan and congrats on the education. Love that color on your car, too.