1971 Camaro RS "Make drive again" Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 71RSLS, Feb 2, 2018.

1. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

I did take it to a show each weekend the past 2 weekends. Last weekend was in my home town and I took the diesel powered Corvette. It still draws a crowd. LMAO!

71rstm.png
    71rstmd.png

This past weekend was in our town. They had rain all day but I was glad to see they had a good turn out. They had around 100 cars and trucks. That is nice to see because it is a lot of work to put on a show for it to get rained out. Plus this show is the local volunteer fire fighter's annual fund raiser for the year. I guess the old Camaro isn't too bad after all. It won a top 30 award!

71rspc.png
    71rstrophy.png

mrfleet12, hubedobeedo and xten like this.
  2. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My curiosity is up. Why diesel powered?

71RSLS likes this.
  3. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Why not? Haha

It is a long story. Back in 2007 I had started doing Cummins conversions for people and I was also racing diesel trucks. I had my corvette that was a big project and I was looking to build a lighter weight drag vehicle. One thing led to another and the C3 got a 5.9 Cummins shoved in it. Haha

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I think "why not" is the answer for most engine swaps/car mods haha

mrfleet12 and 71RSLS like this.
  5. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Yeah, very true. I could have said because I felt like doing 500-1000 hours worth of head aches because I'm super smart? LMAO

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Love to see more pics of the Corvette and the K30. Neighbor is doing a chopped 33 Chevy rat rod with a twin turbo 12 valve. Kid's doing his 03 power stroke over the winter. Also 12 valve.

71RSLS likes this.
  7. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Your neighbor sounds like my kind of guy! Haha I've got an 08 F350 I'm 2 cylinder deleting currently. Then I have a 98 Dakota to put a 12v in, a 66 D200 to put one in, and we got my wife a 29 Dodge 4 door sedan that will be getting one. Should I just start a thread on here some where for the vette and my K30?

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

My vote would be yes, but that's completely up to you. Would really like to show these guys what you've done. I also know some "Corvette purists" that should see what you've done just to see their faces! Haha.

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Let me see what I can do about making threads on here. For now, here is a thread on each on another forum I'm on. And yeah, the corvette purists usually hate it or love it. Especially when you beat them with it. It hasn't been raced for years. If I had the time I'd love to get it in the 9s at least. It sure has the MPH to be there.

Let me know if you can't see the pics. There are also videos of it from 2012 on youtube that a guy in the Chicago area posted from Byron race way and people went nuts. He posted another video of it in 2017 and people were sharing it all over social media. It was in Diesel builder mag before all that but was in 4 or 6 more after the blow up on youtube crying about all the smoke etc. The car wasn't right and my brother was just trying to make passes. But the haters can just keep hating. LOL I removed all the videos I had of it when we removed our website and store from our side business a while ago.

http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-b...o-other-die-hard-corvette-guys-step-away.html

http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-build-logs/51621-1972-chevy-k30-longhorn-build.html

dave@ztech, mrfleet12 and hubedobeedo like this.
  10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thanks for putting these up Ryan. Went through the threads. Started at work @ about 5:00 PM and still here! lol. Started looking at it while paint was baking, Think it's done by now...don't ya think? Amazing stuff. That Corvette is cooler than the other side of the pillow. Great work and threads. I'm truly impressed.
    BTW, saw pics. Only vid I could see is the one above.

71RSLS likes this.