1971 Camaro RS "Make drive again" Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 71RSLS, Feb 2, 2018.

1. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Ok, here goes. I'll start getting pics of the progress up here. First is the install of the 5.3 and Super T10 the 2nd time. The first time I had it in there, the engine was too high. I ended up cutting the stands down and got the engine to set in a nice position. I wanted it far enough back to use a stock drive shaft and I needed it really low so I could still use my truck accessories.

Cam.jpg Cama.jpg

Camar.jpg

Here is a pic of the stock truck intake looking over the top of the fender.

Camaro.jpg

Camaro1.jpg

I didn't get exhaust manifolds with my engine so I was looking at getting headers. he problem with that is I want to put a turbo on the car this winter. I don't want to buy 2 sets of headers. I found a pair of LQ9 manifolds for $43 off CL with the flanges. The manifolds fit but one ear of each outlet flange hit the sub frame. I cut the flanges off and welded on some V-bands. They then fit.

2. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

I spent a lot of time trying to decide which sub frame connectors to get. This car needs so much stuff my budget is tight. (Nearly gone now haha) I wanted to get the DSE ones, but I was not wanting to spend that much time installing them. I got the Global West ones instead. I liked the way they are really tight to the floor. I welded them on the floor, rear rail, and the sub frame. I also used 1/8" plate and welded the floor structure and connector to each other about 20" or so before the curve up in the rail. I smoothed the outside to try to keep it not as noticeable. I installed Global West interlocking solid body bushings too.

Camaro8.jpg

I had a surprise when I got to the LH core support mount. The mount was broken off the support. The spot welds just sheared or ripped off. I drilled the spot welds out in the mount and added a few more holes then welded it back on the support.

Camaro5.jpg

I removed my interior so I could get to the floor. I didn't want the carpet or insulation catching fire while I was welding the frame connectors. Stupid me, I used the impact to remove the rear sub frame mount bolts. Which stretched out the cage for the nuts. I sliced the floor open to access the nuts. I reformed the cages and everything was good again. Lessen learned, and I knew better.

While i was in the interior I noticed how loose my rear window was. I finished removing the trim and pushed it right out. Now I'll clean the sills and paint it with POR-15. I had a friend of mine come remove the front windshield. The poor car is looking worse than when I got it. Luckily there were no rust holes in the sills.

Camaro4.jpg

Camaro6.jpg

I also stuck the RS emblem in the grill that I got after seeing it done on here. Then I put the front spoiler on just because.

Camaro3.jpg
    Camaro2.jpg

dave@ztech likes this.
  3. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

I'm trying like mad to have this car drive able by June 29th so i can take it to Good Guys in Des Moines. I'm running out of time each day. Haha I really wanted to put 18s front and rear on this thing. I knew my budget and time frame were going to cause big problems. Then one day at work I had an epiphany. I could steal the wheels and tires from my 1940 Ford and run them until I get the jack for the wheels I want for the camaro. I had to get wheel adapters to put them on, but the wheels actually fit the car pretty well. The rear tires need to be wider and they could use to go in some. But beggars can't be choosers. Haha

Camaro9.jpg

Camaro10.jpg

Camaro11.jpg

Now we're getting some where. I just nixed $1200 or more from my parts list for now. LOL Next thing was that truck intake..... I knew it was going to be close to fitting. I saw some guys that trimmed theirs and they looked alright. I then saw some that were completely shaved and welded. That was the look I wanted! I cut mine up and welded it up. I still need to body work it. I'm actually thinking of bonding part of a billet grill on the top of it to make it look finned. That is yet to be tried. LOL

Camaro7.jpg

Camaro12.jpg

Now that that was done, I knew my truck brackets were going to have the alternator hit the hood more than likely. I really wanted a Harwood Pro Touring hood for this. I happened to be stumbling around on ebay and saw Harwood had a blem one listed on their store. I watched it for a few days and then asked to see some pics. It has a minor crack on the RH front of the scoop. I decided to buy it and save the money. I'm no pro body man, but I can fix that crack. I love this hood and it allowed me to be able to keep my truck accessories!!!

Camaro13.jpg

Plenty of room for that truck alternator bracket now.

Camaro15.jpg

4. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Camaro17.jpg Harwood doesn't sell the scoop insert for the hood anymore but the guy gave me the part number for it. It is actually from a Z06 Corvette. I took some time and cut the hood and inserted the insert. I think I might try to make a mount to put my air filter up there to get all that cool air.

Camaro19.jpg

Here's some over the fender shots with the shaved truck intake.

Camaro16.jpg

Shaving all the stuff off the top sure saved some room. I probably could have ran my stock hood and been alright. Oh well, I really like this new hood.

Up next was installing my 1970 1 piece low profile rear spoiler. Once again this site came in super handy. This was the only place I found with measurements that were accurate for installing a 1 piece. Thanks for that!

Camaro18.jpg

While I was doing the spoiler, i started digging at the bondo next to the RH tail light. Someone backed into something and smashed the tail light panel. Apparently the same person did it because after the car was painted they did it again. he deck lid is dented in in 2 spots. I'll use a slide hammer to straighten that out later. I'll have to use my stud gun to pull out the dent so 2 lbs of filler isn't needed back there. Haha

Camaro14.jpg

I test fit my radiator so I could begin the hunt for radiator hoses. The lower one was pretty easy. I've had to trim both ends but it fits pretty well. I'm going to round off the idler arm mount too so the hose isn't rubbing on the corner making a leak. The upper is 2 different hoses I cut down and I'll have a steel coupler in the middle.

Camaro20.jpg

Currently I'm working on cleaning the floors so I can get them painted. I've got the gas tank out and I need to put a fuel pump in it. I might put an external on instead. I haven't fully decided yet. I really need to get hopping on this thing though. LOL

5. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

766D115C-3C9B-486E-A0C7-4A323118AB34.jpeg BBC04D83-D192-421B-AE02-5C7830EFED79.jpeg Hey buddy. Awesome work in your car. In relation to the two piece top radiator hose have you considered using a TEFBA filter as the centre joiner. I needed just a bit of additional length in my top rad hose and the TEFBA was the perfect solution. Both form and function.

6. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

good stuff man your moving along very quick.

7. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

great story

8. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

70chev, that's a good idea but I'll probably pass on it for now. I still need some key things to get it running. I can make the steel adapter pretty cheap. I'm hoping this weekend I can get the time to work on it. We're going camping all weekend so it isn't looking great....

9. broahnazki

broahnazki Veteran Member

Just read your entire thread! This things looking really sharp, for upper rad hose a stock truck hose from 07+ will work just fine, not the prettiest but it’ll get it running for now.

71RSLS likes this.
  10. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Thanks and thanks!