Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 71RSLS, Feb 2, 2018.
Chuck, hopefully the list will get smaller as long as I don't continue adding to it. LOL
How's everyone doing on their projects? I've been doing pretty good on everyone else's projects lately. It warmed up a little and I did manage to get a load of junk hauled in. It was a 5 ton load. I still have another I'd like to take in so I'm rid of most of the junk laying around. The price is decent so I best do it before it tanks again. Haha
I finally got my lower control arms done. One of them the sway bar must have been loose and the link ate into the control arm. I fixed that as well. Now I have to install the del-a-lum bushings in the uppers and replace the upper ball joints.
I also got my power steering lines done. I'm not thrilled how the pressure line looks but it was cheap and it will work. I'd sure like to be knocking items off my list faster than I have been.
Since I'm a project hound...... This weekend I'm going to the Topeka are to pick up a 1972 GMC Sierra Grande. It has no engine but is other wise complete and is in pretty nice shape. I'm just going to hoard it for now. I'm trading for it so the only out of pocket I'll have in it is fuel costs. These keep going up in value so maybe I'll cut the frame and bed down and make a short box truck and sell it this summer.
I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas, and I hope you all have a Happy New Year! I finally got some time to spend on the car last weekend. The front suspension is rebuilt, the new Custom Works 2g springs are in the front. Now on to the rear. The first pic is a before pic. It definitely sets a lot lower than it did before.
Over the weekend I got some good progress done on the Camaro. It still isn't running yet but I got some parts off the floor. I replaced the old leaf springs, rear shackles and bushings. I also did some more welding on my LH sub frame connector. These can be bolted on or welded on. I decided to weld mine on. Instead of just welding the rear area that goes up on the rear part of the rail, I welded the connector to the bottom of the floor on both sides. Then I made plates and put them on top of the floor brace and the connector and welded those up. I wanted to add strength and prevent moisture getting trapped there and rusting these areas out. I still have to finish the LH one.
I also got the injectors cleaned, replaced the o-rings on them, installed the fuel rails to the intake, and installed new gaskets, and then installed the intake to the engine.
Here's how it sets now. No, it isn't running yet. I pushed it in and out by hand power. I currently have the rear spring in the lower shackle hole. There is 1 more above it. I'm going to move them up to drop the rear a little more. It should handle pretty well. This kit eliminated the big rubber pads that go over and under the leaf spring that allow these cars to wheel hop so bad. I also got some Koni adjustable shocks for it, and it has the delrin bushings in the frame for the shackles. Now I need to get the rear sway bar, a posi and maybe 3.42s and the rear will be done.
Thanks to Keith at Custom Works Performance. This is his 2g spring set up and it is all very nice stuff.
Some nice parts (and work) going into your 71. You have four nice children. Where is the snow?
Thanks Chuck! We've had very little snow but got a bunch of rain a couple weeks ago.
Originally I decided to just use an external tank fuel pump. I changed my mind and got an internal one. I'd like to eliminate fuel pump failures if I can. So, I got a 91 Caprice fuel sender and a walbro 255 pump. It took some mods to get it in the camaro tank, but it's in. Now to find a connector to hook to the pump harness and get the tank back in the car.
I haven't had much spare time to work on the car. I have ordered some goodies for it though. I got some clear anodized coil covers for it and some odds and ends to get it closer to the goal of running again. I WANTED to order wheels but bills came first. Dang adulting. Haha
Man it has been cold here and we have gotten a lot of weird weather. That being said it has really ate up my free time. I have been working on getting some Camaro time in though. I got some coil covers that looked close to big block valve covers just because i like the look. Of course they didn't fit as advertised. I modified them to fit and am planning on sanding the welds down, scuffing them up to look like brushed finish. I then will add some factory stickers to them like the stock big block chrome valve covers had on them. I still have to make some pieces and attach them to these to hide the wiring.
I mocked up my air inlet pipe. I've got some new 90s coming so I can get rid of the silicone 90. I think it should work out alright.
I also decided I wasn't as keen on the 73 console I had and got a 2011 console instead. I like the placement of the cup holders, and it has a accessory power port. I don't know if I'll try to incorporate the gauges in it or not. I have to research to see if they were ran off a CAN bus or not.
I'm going to make a cover for the parking brake hole, and I need to get a different arm rest since this one came with the red stitching but that is way down on the list. I'm trying to decide if I want to get new carper now or wait.
I also got a trunion kit for my rockers, flowmaster 2.5" tail pipes, a stripe stencil kit, and I'm hoping to order the wheels by the end of the month.
I was contacted by some old owners of the car and it turns out it might actually be a RS/SS 396 car. I'm waiting for the guy to see if he can find any proof of it though.
Might not be a good idea for me if you to my house. When Christine sees what is under your hood, she will get jealous and demand the same thing