1973 Camaro Restoration/Build- Bein Bad

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 7/3-SplitRS, May 5, 2017.

1. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Well, after reading a few of the project posts I have decided to start mine. This is being done to hopefully get my butt in gear to actually head in a certain direction with my car. As I seem to go back and forth with what I want to do. Just reading some other threads has already got my brain going about this project. So here it goes.

Brief history of the Vehicle and Me.

1973 RS Camaro. Bought the car in DeKalb Il from a guy that was in too deep. The car was what motorcyclists would call a basket case. No windows in it. no interior at all. a ton of parts new and used in boxes and bins and laying around, motor apart and a spare block also. Previous owner had started an auto to manual conversion. Super t10 4 speed. That was half finished. All factory wiring had been removed and a painless wiring harness put in it but hacked up badly. Anyway, car was clean for Midwest and the age. good deal on price so I scooped it up and trailered it home. That was February of 2015. Since then I did get the car drive-able as of last summer. Went back to auto 350 trans because my wife said so LOL! I drove the car for a month or so just locally. Kept finding issues as I went. Then decided it needed a Blueprint 383. Bought and installed motor, got it running and enjoyed it till fall. Back in the garage it went. Struggled with what to do next. car is a good 20 footer, but the closer you get you can start to see all of the issues that go along with a 44 year old vehicle. body wise and so forth. So I think I have finally decided to restore it. I am new to this restoring thing. have not done body work in the past. But have always been around vehicles, more on the mechanical side with motors. This I am sure will be a long drawn out process, but its my favorite car. So lets do it! I will add photos tonight.

branbell likes this.
  2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Welcome to the forum. We would all like to see pictures. In my opinion these cars are fun to restore. When you are done it will turn heads to the young and old. I wasn't much on body work so when I had parts of my car disassembled I took them down to our local body shop and he took care of the nasty sanding and filling. When I finally put the car together he did the quarters and painted it.

3. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    Welcome to the 2 gen family. I too turn more wrenches then I have spread bondo, how ever there is nothing I can not learn so I dove right in, you can do this, there is a lot of info on here and people willing to lend a ear or knowledge. looking forward to pics.

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Welcome. Glad to see another 73. If you want to see a basket case check the beginning of my thread. lol. Second time around for me. I must really be out of my mind. Love this stuff. Gives me something to do.

5. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    Yeah, my wife says I am out of my mind. "It was running and driving I don't understand". Is what she said when I told her it was being torn apart. IMG_20151107_121035276.jpg

6. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    So I will start with a few pictures of how the car was as of this last fall. Then move into some of the disassembly as the car has been started already. IMG_20150523_141700497.jpg

7. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Nice seeing another 73 RS
    Welcome

8. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    20160821_171148.jpg When the new 383 was going in.

9. 7/3-SplitRS

7/3-SplitRS Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Pecatonica IL
    22422.jpeg When the new 383 came back out lol. 2 weeks ago.