1978 camaro gauge cluster

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Alan Burg, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

I have a 1978 camaro with gauge cluster that has lighter & rear defogger mount holes. It has main gauges speedometer & fuel gauge and only oil, temp & generator light(no clock). I want to replace it with a cluster that has all gauges. Are there any clusters that are plug & play or do I have to make modifications to change to gauges?

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You need to swap wires in the cluster plug to use the U14 gauge cluster.

Even with the gauge cluster, You won’t get an “oil” gauge... it still has a light.

My old 78 was like yours... idiot lights and no clock.

Here are the instructions.

http://nastyz28.com/2gcog/tech/u14swap.html

3. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

T

4. erhan ergin

erhan ergin New Member

I am doing the U14 cluster swap on a 1970 RS. I went thru the page that describes all the connections from the above link and it is great. However, I have a msd 6AL box and I am not sure how to connect the tach to this. I found in another thread that I need to use a MSD 8920 Magnetic Pickup Tachometer Adapter. Do I plug in the wire from the adapter to the #1 slot in the wiring harness where the dark brown wire is supposed to go?

Thanks

5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm running a 6AL with tach out put wire going straight to tach, nothing else was needed to make it work.

6. erhan ergin

erhan ergin New Member

That is great. I am wondering why that was suggested in another thread. You are using the original tach from the U14 cluster right?

Thanks

7. erhan ergin

erhan ergin New Member

Just as a closure, I did hook up the tach out from 6AL to the brown wire on #1 slot of the U14 plug. It is working :)

One item on U14 page that I was not clear on is related to the pink wires on #3 and #8. I did the swap with a new plug from a U14 rather than modifying the original plug, As I started making the changes I noticed that the two pink wires coming to #8 on the old plug is left unconnected ( I mean those wires go nowhere in the new plug). Essentially there are two wires in the old plug that do not go anywhere in the new plug. #8 pink which I mentioned and the brown on #4 in the old plug. The #1 is stated clearly but #8 is not. It says " The #3 slot (pink wire) will have two protruding pink wires, one which is wired into a loop with slot #8 and a second wire which is attached to it. " Also it says "old Pin 1 (pink) moves to Pin 3"
    Is this correct or am I missing something?
    Thanks for responses in advance.