1978 Camaro Restoration

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by CDesperado, Mar 16, 2012.

1. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The body shop is doing some repairs on a few paint dings and the final cut and buff now - I am super excited. I think they will be done by this Friday, and with a bit of luck I will be driving it home in 2 weeks or so.

Also, just a quick shout out: The folks at Morris Classic Seatbelts are awesome. I bought charcoal seat belts back in 2013, but hadnt installed the belts yet. They just let me switch them out (6 years later!) for black seatbelts to better match my interior. I had always heard they were good to work with, but this is above and beyond. I am VERY grateful to them for helping me out!

xten likes this.
  2. CDesperado

Just a quick post - I got my car back and she is shining like a diamond. I'll start posting some pics again over the coming weeks as I get through these last 10 yards to the goal line. The plan right now is to wash it, wax it, then begin installing the final exterior items, then move into the interior. The main roadblock right now is waiting on the interior shop to finish my seats, but I figure I have at least 2-3 weeks of minor work ahead of me anyway, so that wont hurt anything.

I also have some ideas for some tutorials I am going to post along the way, such as a custom door panel sound deadener that won't break the bank, a guide for building a custom subwoofer box that will contour within the trunk, and a few other things that people may be interested in.

3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Congrats on getting the car back, is the paint still fresh? Not sure if things have changed over the years but they use to recommend letting the paint cure for a few months before applying a wax coat that would seal the paint..
    Interested in the sub box, been kicking this around for a while now, have a decent setup now with a head unit and 4 speakers, would like to add an amp and a little base, have a 12" Stillwater sitting on the bench..

4. CDesperado

Sadly, the paint is several years old now. I was *almost* done with the car in 2013, then got hit with a business deal that went sideways while simultaneously being in the middle of a massive work project, so the car was put on hold until last summer.

I washed it this morning... and even without a wax, the paint looks incredible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the house across the street, reflecting in the paint.
    [​IMG]

I dont really have too much left to do. A few weekends of work and I think I will be done. Fortunately we have a 3-day weekend ahead of us, so I should get a lot done this weekend. My main roadblock now is just waiting for the guy who is doing my seats. I should know next week what the ETA for that will be.

Im pretty sure I will start the subwoofer box build on Sunday or Monday, so I will create a separate thread for that as I have some ideas that may help other people in the future.

roadrace2 likes this.
  5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

That looks pretty sweet, really like that color..

6. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

I know alot a folks that are sceptical but I decided to try a product called The Last Coat. Its alot like F11 but had a little better reviews and it works awesome.

7. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was following your threads a few years ago because I think we were at similar points in our projects. No doubt that "stuff" just happens sometimes. Congratulations on being back on track! The car waited on you, and yes, the paint still looks great.

8. CDesperado

Hey man, I definitely remember you. I'm getting super excited as I see the car getting closer. I've been fighting the weather a bit lately as it seems to want to rain every day that I actually have time to work on the car, but I am taking several days off of work next week to focus 100% on getting her wrapped up. I probably wont be finished/finished... but I think I will be getting really really close.

I am meeting with the interior shop tmrw and hopefully I can get an ETA on when my seats will be finished. In the meantime, I am finishing off the sound deadener installs, the trim work, and various odds and ends.

FunBobby likes this.
  9. CDesperado

Well, it's been a few months so I thought I would post a little update. My biggest hold up right now is still waiting on the interior shop for the seats. He is supposed to start them this week or next week.... so hopefully I am close to getting those in.

In the meantime, I have done a lot of other things. I finished cutting the holes for the door speakers and created some custom mounts so that I can attach the speakers to the door itself, rather than the door card.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is an extreme close-up of the speaker before I did the final trimming around the edges. I tried very hard to make sure the speaker rings were symmetrical on both sides. It's not perfect, but it's close enough.
    [​IMG]

I initially made some custom sound deadener and thermal barriers for the car, but it turns out that one part of this car with a tight tolerance is the area where the door card fits into the door jamb. I will post up some pics later of what I did there.

On a positive note, I finished installing thermal barriers and sound deadener on the wheel wells. Here is a shot of the jute padding, but underneath this there is a 1/8" closed cell foam and some Mass Backed Vinyl, which should cut down on road noise a lot. I traced a pattern for the upper and lower quarter panels and if anyone is interested I can maybe post that up along with some measurements.
    [​IMG]

I also bought a new headliner board from Stock Interiors, which is now mounted in the car. The new one is molded to fit the roof and I am very happy with it. (The original "Flat" version that I bought from Classic Industries didnt fit very well.) If anyone is interested, this is what the molded one looked like, prior the headliner material getting glued to the board itself.
    [​IMG]

While I am waiting on the seats, I am finding other things to keep me busy, such as building a custom subwoofer box that fit into the weirdly shaped recesses in the trunk. This is a very rough mockup of the box, but you can see where I am going with it. I think I will be finished with the box sometime this week, so can post more "finished" pictures later. (The box is designed to fit into the recessed area on the driver's side of the trunk. I specifically wanted to leave enough room for a full-sized spare, so I had to get creative on how I designed the size of the box itself.)

I took a lot of pictures of this build with detailed notes about measurements, etc. Someday I may build a second one with some cool inserts or something, but right now I just want a box that goes boom.
    [​IMG]

10. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking good! I'm definitely interested in the headliner. I kept the one that was in my car when I got it, but it's the "plushy...velvety" material. The one that was in my original Camaro was a perforated vinyl material and I'd rather go back to that. Did you order the liner material, or is your local shop getting it?