1978 Z-28 Speaker options.

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by iraqivet, Jul 27, 2018.

1. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So on this 1978 Z-18 I just picked up, I removed the aftermarket speakers believing that where the left rear speaker was they cut it out since the 1978 GM Electrical diagram only shows an option for one speaker for the rear, listing it as the right rear and it would be installed by Body Company. It's actually stamped out like my other Camaro. So would I have to believe a RPO exists for dual rear speakers in a 1978 Camaro? Unfortunately even tough this is a California built car, the seats were not the original ones, hence no build sheet. I haven't dropped the gas tank yet but after the age of the vehicle I doubt that ones is even legible, let alone still there. So if any of you'78 owners have dual speakers in the rear, please let me know. If you know the RPO code, that would be great as well. I used speaker as a search word on the RPO web site, but no year is given for any RPO that lists speaker options. Thanks.

2. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

I am the original owner of a 1978 Z28 that I still own. Unfortunately it came from the factory with no radio. The dealership had a stereo shop install an AM/FM stereo radio with cassette tape player while I had lunch. I am only going by memory here, some 40 years ago, so bear with me. I know the car came from the factory with a windshield antenna (RPO U76). The Camaro White Book lists a rear speaker as an option (RPO U80). The 1978 Camaro sales brochure lists a rear seat auxiliary speaker as an option but not with stereo or tape systems. The only tape system listed as available is an 8 track. My car has one rear seat speaker on the left or driver's side rear shelf. So to the best of my knowledge no dual rear seat speakers were available from the factory. My car is a Van Nuys, California built car, and I found my build sheet on the underside of the driver's seat. So look there on yours. I hope this helps. Best of luck with your 1978 Z28. I still love mine after 40 years.

3. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

In rereading your post I noticed you don't have the original seats anymore, but maybe the gas tank might have a build sheet on top hopefully.
    Thank you for your service.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Do want dual rear speakers in the package you can always go aftermarket and or use a system from a 1979-81 Camaro of which had those options. I replaced the speakers in my 1979 Z-28 RS with Pioneers.But I used my original speaker covers. Maybe you could do something similar

5. iraqivet

I took off the fuel tank today and a good portion of the build sheet was legible. Unfortunately where any sound system would be listed is right where it sat on the gas tank rubber strip. So the black seat belts are original as I can read that. Black car, tan interior but with black seat belts. Must be a GM thing. Also had the optional adjustable driver's seat. Searching and deciphering a car's build and history make restoring a car much more enjoyable. Ah, the single rear speaker with the sound masked by a rear window defrost that sounds like a hair dryer.
    Anyone know what exactly B85 is? Is it side molding?

DSCN9041.JPG DSCN9042.JPG

6. 3504SPD

3504SPD Veteran Member

I looked at my build sheet. B85 says BELT MLDG

7. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

I have a 78 Type LT. It originally had a stereo with only one speaker in the rear. I am pretty sure they did not offer two speakers in rear and the reason is the rear defogger option was a fan in the rear deck.

8. iraqivet

That makes sense. Still interesting there are two speaker holes as well as the rear defroster holes punched out. Maybe a plan for it but it was cancelled. Looking at the 1978 Fischer Body and GM electrical diagrams, Fischer was responsible to add the rear speaker. No mention of the rear defrost on the GM schematic, but Fischer describes the system and shows diagrams in their Body manual. 78TypeLTCamaro, which side was your original single speaker in the rear on? Thanks.

9. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

The stock rear speaker was on the driver's side. I now have 2 non stock speakers in the rear and recall the passengers side had a smaller hole for the fan which they had to enlarge both to allow the 6x9's to fit. Since this had A/C and originally from N.C. the original owner did not order the rear defog.

10. iraqivet

That's interesting you mention the driver's side. Z28SSRS also mentions the car he purchased new and still owns had no radio at first. He had the radio installed and the U80 RPO option installed. It was installed on the driver's side. The 1978 Camaro brochure shows the speaker also on the driver's side. In the RPO document, U80 is listed as a speaker, Right Rear. So it's Right Rear as you look at the front of the car. But the GM electrical manual lays it out as if it's installed on the passenger rear. If three vehicles are showing Driver's rear, That's where I install mine. I'm not making a concours correct Camaro, not enough funds for that. My 1980 and 1979 Z-28's have both been modified. I wanted to be able to make this build faster and go with an original look where possible.