1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Which FiTech did you get? Mine is the Meanstreet.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got the Go EFI 4 600. I produce less than 500HP so it seemed like the right choice. I have been doing research and am thinking of returning it and getting the Holley Sniper. People seem to be very frustrated with the Fitech the more I read.....and more satisfied with the Holley set up.

I think you produce more HP than I do. Any regrets with the purchase?

3. 8pack

Small Progress....

02 Bung welded in.

On the not so much progress side I have an oil leak I can't find. Fine mist starting at the front cross member and on every surface on the way towards the back of the car. Need to put some time into that but it can wait. Fuel injection and getting the center console back in the car first. Then circle back on the small stuff of which there is now a very long list.

4. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

I had a small oil leak also, and it turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit. Just FYI.

5. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

I've been flip-flopping on the Holley vs. the FiTech as well. The FiTech is cheaper right now with that $100 rebate, but it might be worth $100 to have a big brand system that "should" be a more polished system. One would expect a big company like Holley to crank our a first class system. I haven't read much about the Holley yet, but it seems that almost every FiTech buyer has to contact the company for support, mostly about making manual tuning mods to correct issues that the auto tuning doesn't take care of. That's kind of discouraging to me. What's the point of auto tuning if you have to manually tune it anyway? Maybe it isn't that big of a deal, but without the rebate I think it would be a no-brainer. I wouldn't hesitate on grabbing the Holley.

6. 8pack

Just got my RobbMC Power Surge from Santa! Looks like a really nice piece. Pics below. Going to order the Holley Sniper but my car is stored for the winter. I was considering doing the conversion in the storage place as I have it up on jack stands already but if for some reason I can't get it running I would rather have it in my garage. So it looks like I will wait until March.

In the meantime I am going to make a best guess at the fittings I need and order those. Will also figure out the mounting for the Power Surge. Right now my MSD box is mounted where the charcoal canister used to be and that looks like the best spot for the tank so it looks like I need to figure out where to move the MSD to.

I think I can also get the fuel pump relay wired up and the Kill switches I always wanted to put in for Anti theft.......

.................still haven't moved forward on the center console though....maybe I should focus on that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 8pack

Major oh cr@p moment today!

My car is in storage and as per above working on the FI install so I went today to measure and do a little planning. I also have this oil leak I can't find so I cleaned up underneath to see if I can spot it in the spring.....while under there I was poking around and saw that my brake lines were rubbing on my tires and wheels....yikes! I took a look and they were basically undamaged, amazing. They are braided with a plastic covering on them. I think I got them from inline tube. Amazing how durable they are. Pics below......

Also I am trying to figure out the return fuel line. PICS ALSO BELOW By the fuel pump there are 2 fuel lines, one larger than the other. I am assuming the smaller is the stock return line. Right now I am not using it and it has a rubber cover on it. I assume it is 1/4" and RobbMC says that is fine for the return, just want to verify it is not smaller than that. At the tank there are 3 lines 2 larger and one smaller. The other large looks like a vent line and it is has nothing connected to it right now. Which of the 3 lines is actually the return and which is the vent line. In the pic, the one to the far left is the small one that runs up the passenger side to the fuel pump, the middle line is the fuel feed line and is connected to the pump, the right line looks like the vent line and right now is runs off to the right and then loops back to the left along the top of the seam of the tank and ends and is not connected. Any info would be helpful! I am also going to cross post in the engine section.....

Yikes!
    [​IMG]

Fuel line pics:

At the tank...

[​IMG]

Close up of lines going over the top of the tank.... you can see where the line on the right is looping back towards the passenger side

[​IMG]

Lines up at the front of the car just behind the wheel mounted to the frame where they go over the top of the frame and over to the fuel pump... You can see the smaller one and bigger one.

[​IMG]

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

From my understanding the smaller line is the return line. it only needs to handle a trickle of gas back to the tank. I suspect the third line that is referenced was for the vapor canister that were used on these cars.

9. 8pack

10. 8pack

Got some new valve covers for Xmas from Billet Specialties. My other ones seem to be leaking I think they got warped when they were powder coated....who knows...

The quality is decent although the polishing could have been better. Since they are cast I think they don't polish them fully as it will highlight any casting flaws. I sealed them with 4 coats of CQuartz Wheel sealer and will see how they hold up. Going to wait until I do the fuel injection before I install them so I don't scuff them up during the install....pics below....

Lastly I think my PCV valve is bad. I have a Billet Specialties one and it is not rattling when I shake it. I am wondering if that will cause too much crank case pressure and push oil out of the seals?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]