1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Banner Day! Only one bonehead maneuver. I went to rebuild my caliper and tried to seat the seal without the special tool. Manage ed to ruin the seal and chip my powder coated caliper. Caliper goes back and I either buy or rent the tool.......

On to the good news. Rear end is IN. Front springs are in and I just need to attach the bottom of the front shocks there. Brake booster is repainted and mounted.

I had no issue mounting the springs and shackles with the tank in. I can see why it would make things a bit easier, but for me not worth the time of draining the tank and disconnecting all the lines.

I sanded my rotors to get rid of the surface rust and painted the hubs and edges with high temp paint. I taped of the flats for when i painted and left the tape on for now so it looks like the whole rotor is painted.

Rear end in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front left in with Koni Shock mocked up.

[​IMG]

Rear Rotors before and after sanding with 80 grit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taped up, painted with silver high temp paint and mocked up on car. No backing plate installed yet. Brakes are next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brake booster mounted up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ezetorr37

ezetorr37 Veteran Member

Nice build, it's looking great.

3. 8pack

Thanks Ezekiel. When are u putting up some more updates?!

4. 8pack

D'OH

When I put my LCA bushings in I didn't read all of Keith's notes. I have 9/16" bolts but the LCA inner bushing is 1/2" so I thought I just needed to use a 1/2" bolt and got it all put together.

When I was reading the instructions on setting the shocks I saw his notes and I needed to drill out the bushing to accept the 9/16" bolt............OFF COMES THE FRONT SUSPENSION.

2 step's forward one step back.....ah well. Another learning experience and hopefully someone reads this and doesn't make the same dopey mistake.

5. 8pack

Decided I would get a little early start on the holiday weekend and work on my car. Pulled out the right side control arm inner steel bushings in anticipation of drilling them out this weekend. That was the plan. It went much faster than I thought so I said, hey, why don't I put the center link in....

Dropped it on my face trying to get it fitted and the nuts on....at the hospital waiting for stitches....

That's two in a row....d'oh

So much for my pretty face....

6. 8pack

Stupid is as stupid does......here's the body work the Emergency room did...better then using a torch...

[​IMG]

7. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

all Camaro drivers have scars

8. 8pack

Not so much done today but some progress. Went to harbor freight and got a low profile jack, a puller to pull my pinion yoke, Bearing cup seating tool, and assorted other impulse buys....

Went to Napa and picked up my replacement front brake rebuild kit for the one I ruined and then to Fastenal to pick up some 9/16" grade 8 bolts which don't fit in a 9/16 hole.......................

I did drill out my first to Afco bushings to accept the stock bolts. Wasn't as easy as I thought but got it done. I needed 4 drill bits:

33/64
    17/32
    35/64
    9/16

I have a small tabletob drill press. The throw is too short to get through all in one pass. The first one I did free hand by trying to hold it tight to the board. That was really cumbersome and slow.

The second one I wised up and drilled a 1"hole in a 2x6 part way through to hold the bushing tight and level. Big difference, took me 1/4 of the time. Need lots of oil and I periodically dipped it in cool water just to let it shrink back a bit.
    i held the bushing so it couldn't spin with a pair of narrow vice grips in the area that the grease fills up and doesn't ride on the outer bushing.

Tomorrow, finish redoing front suspension, mount shocks, put on rear brakes, connect ebrake, replace ebrake mechanism, paint master cylinder, clean up last brake line, install tie rods and center link without smashing my face and front and rear sway bars.....then I need to regroup and see what I need to do before I drop the engine in...

Where to hold bushing with vice grips:

[​IMG]

1 inch hole for bushing:

[​IMG]

Bushing set in hole to keep it straight and aligned.

[​IMG]

Drill bits:

[​IMG]

9. 8pack

Not as much progress as I wanted. Got the LCA bushings reinstalled but can't get the front drivers side spring to seat. Had to give up and take a break......

Installed the backing plates for the rear brakes. The pinion Cross shaft has a big chunk out of it?! Did other stuff on suspension too pictures of that tomorrow.....

Rear backing plates installed-

[​IMG]

Whats the deal here?! Hopefully didn't hurt the rear end, have no idea how long it has been like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 8pack

Suspension totally installed except front sway bar which I am waiting on until I have the front brakes assembled. UPDATE: Rear sway bar bracket clamps are on upside down!!!!! BACK TO THE SHOP THIS WEEK SOMETIME....

Mocked up rear brakes. Did not get to e-brake set up. I was going to use my old pads but after closer inspection I decided to just get new ones. Once this is back together I don't want to mess with it until I upgrade the brakes.

Had a bear of time seating the seal on my front brakes. Took three kits to get one right. I finally figure it out. Needed to clamp down the seal in the back/inside and on each of the sides then tap the front down.

Rear brakes mocked up

[​IMG]

Rear suspension in and sway bar....and all my junk from working under the car. LOOK at Sway bar clamps...sway bar is pointed down at angle, clamps should be facing other direct and sway bar ends above the shock plate not below.

[​IMG]

Front suspension

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2014