1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. carcrazed

carcrazed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's awesome you got your original car back! I can see the love and care you are putting into the rebuild! Good for you! Looks great!

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks! I see your car is back on the road. I gave up on my quadrajet. I sent it out for a stage 1 or 2 rebuild and full restoration in an effort to get it running better. It is basically brand new but I could never get it to run right for me so I just went in for a holley.

3. 8pack

No Pics, Dog jumped into the pool with the solar cover on and I jumped in after him with my phone in my pocket....Salt water pool, not likely to survive....

But some good progress....

Rear calipers, springs and ebrake all set up.

Master Cylinder painted and ready for install

Front rotors/bearings replaced

Front calipers rebuilt

I decided I am going to send BigGearHead my posi-traction carrier and have him rebuild it, but I want to finish up the front end this weekend then go back and tear apart the rear.

Transmission is supposed to ship Weds.

After front brakes are on I think I am ready to put the engine back in.

Any suggestions on the most cost effective way to ship the rear posi carrier?

4. 8pack

Made more progress but no pics.

Front rotors, pads and calipers are on. Powder coating on spindles and calipers caused all sorts of problems getting the calipers mounted. I had to grind off the powder coat on the caliper and spindle where they meet to get the Caliper mounted.

Brake Master cylinder painted...

Next steps are to clean up the power steering pump and paint it, along with the AC compressor, Install steering shaft and clean up and clear coat the suitcase. Need to buy heat shield wire split conduit and for the transmission to be shipped hopefully this week.

Only things needed to be done before dropping the motor back in are clear coating the AC suitcase and installing the steering shaft.

Pics to resume later this week when I finally get a new phone......

5. 8pack

Finally some new progress and some goodies....Back from 2 weeks overseas which was no fun.....but back having fun today!

Rear end came back out today. Tory (chevelle-camaro) is going to rebuild my rear and will pick it up at my house! I needed to get it disassembled and out for him. Getting new Eaton Posi, Moser Axles, Moser Rear cover and other stuff. Had to take off, brakes, rotors and Axles....Done.

Got my coil remounted to the fire wall, sanded and leaned up my AC box to get ready for a clear coat, Painted and mounted my Wiper motor, took off my fender to see how bad the rust was and am hoping to find someone on here to help me repair/weld it. Installed my head light relays which took like 2 minutes but need to wait to get the battery back in.

Got some cool power distribution and grounding blocks from Crutchfield along with really nice terminal mounts.

Here come the pics.....

AC Suitcase. Scraped the undercoating and stufff with a screwdriver and then sanded with a Red Scruff pad to get it prepped and even. Ready for clear..

[​IMG]

Wiper motor. Not exciting but my forst electrical bit back in the engine compartment!

[​IMG]

My fender situation. I think it is just the lower back part....hoping it can be patched and I can fix it so I just need to repaint the black part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly cool distribution block. Center input takes the ground with 4 grounding points and sides take the power with 8 connection points. Good set up for my stereo, Relays and to be sure I have really solid grounds. Additional grounding block with four connection points.

Power/ground block ($27 BTW):

Fused and nice plastic cover to prevent any shorting issues...

[​IMG]

Ground input and power input...ground center, power either side...

[​IMG]

Four power connection points...2 each on the outsides...4 grounding points in the center...

[​IMG]

Topside look with 100 amp fuses...probably need smaller fuses...don't know what size though...

[​IMG]

Grounding block..-can also be used for un-fused power distribution....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. zhedding

zhedding Veteran Member

wow, your car is looking amazing man.. i love the color of it.

7. 8pack

Thanks Zhedding. Will get some better full car pictures up soon.

Slow day today. Got the steering shaft installed, took the rear end out. What a paint without taking out the springs...

Started to clean and degrease the suitcase for paint and when it was wet found it still has a bunch of undercoating on it. Spent a bunch of time cleaning that. It is now really ready to be clear coated.

Decided to start to figure out the AC Vacuum lines that have never worked. Found I had the wrong vacuum harness. Now I am trying to figure out how they connect which has me stupefied. Will post something in the trouble shooting section later. I now have to take the whole lower dash out to finish that job and at least the passenger seat. Will take driver's seat out too to give maximimum working space....who knows what else will come apart now! A simple engine swap has turned into a full resto....

8. 3504SPD

3504SPD Veteran Member

Coming along nice. Good work.

9. 8pack

Thanks 3504spd!

I haven't made any true progress, but have collected parts. Mostly for my rear which is out for a powder coating and rebuild now.....I will have a nice rear!

Here are some goodies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and my Serpentine set up too!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  10. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

oooohh some nice goodies there!