1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. 8pack

Today I dropped my transmission back down to get it off the tunnel and need some good weather to see if there is any change in the vibration. After taking the 2* pinion shims out most of the vibration was gone but that was with the transmission jacked up hitting the tunnel. I do still think I need some wheel balancing done.

Since I was under the car and had the jack out etc. I decided to put my rear double adjustable Varishocks on. They are installed and set where Mark Savitske recommended to start so we will see how it rides next time I get it out. Hopefully the weather clears up before it gets too cold and I can see how everything is working. The suspension change that made the biggest impact as loosening the rear shackles so the spring could move freely. I had them too tight on the bottom and they were binding up making for a harsh ride. The ride smoothed considerably after that change...double check yours and make sure they move freely!

Next in the list is adjusting the starter. I would like to get the upper control arms, springs and g-braces in but I need to reconfigure my garage to get the kwik lift out of the way so I can get it up on jacks high enough to drop the lower control arms....I sure wish I had a lift...

3. 8pack

As I have been reading threads and posting the question of wheel Fitment comes up a lot .I added the Fitment tool I purchased for $99 to my signature. It is way better than the plastic junk they sell through summit. It is solid plasma cut steel.

Good luck!

4. 8pack

LOONNNGGG Time no post......been working on a bunch of other stuff including a new house, packing up and old house and trying to get it ready for sale. There has been no time for working on the car. Today I decided to bite the bullet and install my suspension items. Unfortunately I need a different spacer for my springs and I already I think it is in a box I moved. The other catch is I am now committed to new wheels as the 15" stock wheels will no longer fit over the C5 brakes. Here are a few pics from today. If I had the spacers I could have had the front end back together short of the Gbraces today. Pretty easy job actually.....

Plan:

New Hotchkis 600# springs replacing my Global West 700# springs
    New SPC adjustable Upper Control Arms
    CPP C5 Front Brake upgrade
    PTFB Adjustable G braces
    LAB 14 cowl reinforcements
    Front Varishock 2 ways
    Detroit Speed Tie rod adjusters

Completed Today:

Removed Upper Control arms and replaced with SPC UCAs
    Removed Global West S10 springs
    Removed Stock Tie rod adjusters and replaced with Detroit Speed
    Test Fit springs and shocks

Next time:

Final install springs and shocks
    Cowl reinforcements
    Install GBraces
    Measure for new wheels

Springs Shock and Upper control arm mounted and test fit. Upper shock mounts are a whole lot easier with the open UCA frame!:
    IMG_20190323_151702.jpg

Old Spring and new spring. I needed to use a 3/4" spacer on the old Global West spring to get the right ride height. The Hotchkis Free height is is taller but not quite as tall as the GW spring with a 3/4" spacer so as you can see in the pic I think I need to add a 1/4" spacer to get the correct ride height back.

IMG_20190323_114408.jpg

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just read your thread, you win the perseverance award!!persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.

8pack likes this.
  6. 8pack

Thanks Dave....It is just NEVER done!! Hoping to get this front supension work done and move on to getting rust repair done and some other body issues sorted out and maybe a repaint........

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

HAA HA, sounds like Chief Boat's , telling me , that , after I thought we were finally done, painting the ship, I guess you are right, there will always be something......................

8. 8pack

Well, incredibly frustrating day. I tried to finish up my suspension installation and di the G Brace install.....

The G Braces don't fit. My AC lines are in the way. I have an aftermarket system and the lines are different to accommodate the Ssnden compressor on the passenger side. The line is in the way and can't be worked around. I took my hood off etc. which was a big waste of time although it did allow me to make some fitment/alignment adjustments.

I got the springs in without too much trouble. Using a second floor jack and steel handle to jack the handle up into the spring where it hangs up on the LCA made quick work if seating the spring. Look out for the BANG when it seats!

However my SPC UCAs seem to have an issue with the angle of the ball joint . Cross post to the suspension section below. I have an aftermarket CPP spindle for C5 hubs and brakes but I mounted the stock spindle as well and have the same problem....too much negative caster and positive camber.....

I am sure I will get it figured out at some point but it is frustrating and dissapointing. It may all be exactly the way it is supposed to be but it doesn't look right....taking a break from it for at least week while I go out if town.

http://nastyz28.com/threads/spc-upper-ca-install-help.324280/

9. 8pack

THis looks like a pretty handy tool. Posted it over in tips and tricks as well....

mrfleet12 and dave@ztech like this.
  10. 8pack

1st, I LOVE FUEL INJECTION!!!. I haven't run the car since November. Started right up and was ready to roll, no hesitation, bogging or anything.

Time away always pays off when there is an issue! Mark Savitske at SC&C told me to get all my suspension bolted back together and get the wheels on the ground, then take a look at the ball joint angle. Well, that was what I needed to do. Ball joint looks good.

I had to put the stock spindles, rotors and brakes back on as the new set up won't fit with my 15" wheels. It only takes a bout 10 minutes to swap the spindles on each side so no big deal.

Next I need to get the alignment eyeballed enough to be able to drive it to the alignment shop.

Ride height with the Hotchkis springs is 13 1/4" on the drivers side and 13.75" on the passenger side (from the center of the hub). After it has some drive miles on it I will measure again and see if I want to take out the 1/4"spacer on the passenger side or add a 1/4" spacer on the drivers side to even it out.

My starter was making a horrific noise and I replaced it as I thought the pinion wasn't popping out fully. I still think that was the case but when I put the new one in I still got some noise. I took the shim out and will see if that helps. I do know a few of the teeth are chipped, but not broken off which is from the pinion gear not popping all the way. Hopefully that will do it and I won't need a new flywheel.

I still was never able to get the AC working properly. After the car is aligned it is going to a proper AC Shop to get set up instead of the local garage. I need a new line routed anyway as my G Braces won't fit with the aftermarket set up.

I made a template of my brake caliper from CPP so I can order my wheels. I tried to use the fitment tool but there is no way to get the spring compressed enough to get it to ride height without the wheel on it. I am just going to go with an 8" wheel and 5.25" BS which I know will fit up front. With the fitment tool it looked like it might rub a little on the sway bar but it looks like if I add 1/4" to the steering stop that will solve it.

I will run 245/45/17 Firestone 500s up front and go with a 18x9.5 and 5.75" BS (which I am pretty sure is a little too much but I can put a 1/4" spacer on if necessary) and 275/40/18. That gives me a 25.7" diameter up front and 26.7" in back which should look good and drive well. Probably a few months away and may wait until I get it painted.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019