1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Definitely, let's connect. I am hoping to be a little more available on weekends this summer.

Unfortunately going to be awhile on new wheels. Have to spend some $ remodeling an apt. In MA and installing a new heating and AC system in the main house so car goes to the back of the line for now.

Also, I would rather give the money to BMB for rust repair and a new paint job first!

2. 8pack

Got car aligned again yesterday. The new adjusters allowed them to get everything where it needed to be.

• 4.5* positive caster
    • .5* negative camber
    • Toe is .14 Total (1/16")

They said left front tire was way out of balance. I had them balanced when I was having the front end vibration (which I still have up to this point) and thought that ruled out an out of balance condition. Apparently not. I haven't driven it over 65 yet so I don't know if that fixed the vibration yet. Hopefully that was it...........

Need to do a few other things like:
    • AC Still doesn't work, going to go to a proper Auto AC Shop and have them go through everything as well as re-route one of the lines so I can get my G-braces in.
    • Tighten up my lower dash so it doesn't vibrate/bounce around
    • I need to adjust the Center Console as the side cover keeps coming loose. i just need to raise it a little off the hump somehow and that should solve it.
    • Figure out a new gauge carrier that will be a "custom" fit for the console
    • Glue down the vinyl transition from the package tray to the back seat
    • Overall Safety Check

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. 8pack

Drove my car to work yesterday with the new alignment and wheel balancing. Vibration is gone up to about 80mph and then I get a very slight vibration. Even though I had the wheels balanced 2x before it seems they didn’t get it right. The tech at Firestone said the left front was way out of balance.

It rides much better now. A way more civil ride. Lubing up and adjusting the rear shackles made a big difference. Also increasing the ride height and getting it off the snubbers made a huge difference. I need to learn more about the different adjustments on the Varishock sand how they will affect the ride...

So all good now with the suspension and vibration. Next stop AC!

dave@ztech, hubedobeedo and mrfleet12 like this.
  4. 8pack

I decided to see what I was getting for gas mileage with the Sniper installed. With some pretty heavy footed driving I am getting 14mpg. I was getting at best 9mpg with the Holley 670 Avenger. I might not have had it set up as food as it could have been but that is still a pretty good improvement. I think I am probably closer to 15-16 with "normal" driving.

Dealing with a bit of a stutter/lean spikes at cruise. Holley thinks it may be a fuel delivery problem. I need to figure out the best way to be able to see my fuel pressure while driving without spending hundreds of dollars. You would think that Holley would include a fuel pressure monitor in the software and be able to read it from the throttle body.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced remote fuel pressure gauge are welcome. I would think I would want an electric one to avoid having to have a fuel isolater (sp?) set up.

5. 8pack

Been a little while....

I think a took care of the lean condition. I added insulation around the surge tank and replaced the fuel pump.

I had a puny Carter pump on there and I don't think it could keep up with the surge tank/fuel injection.

I installed an Edelbrock 1711 130gph 20psi pump with 3/8" fittings. I drove around today with the outside temp close to 90* and the car running between 190-205*. I didn't pick up any lean or surging conditions.

I don't have the fuel pressure gauge yet but it is ordered. That will tell the full story but a big improvement...so far so good.

With the suspension update and the car running properly it is really a pleasure to drive now. Xten gave me the name of a shop to get the AC addressed so that is next and I plan to call Monday to get on the calendar.

Working through the bugs slowly but surely!

dave@ztech and xten like this.
  6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Glad to hear this Bill. They're a lot more fun to drive when things are working right. Did you get that vibration figured out and gone?

7. 8pack

I did. After the 3rd wheel balancing at a new place, Firestone in Moon, they got it right and the vibration is gone. I still get a little bit at around 80mph (very, very minor) but my tires are old and I attribute it to that and don't plan to exceed more than 75 anyway.

Thanks for asking!!

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Bill, you going to Cedar Creek Sunday? The other Bill and I are going, and we're going to try to get Lynd there too. It'd be cool to see 4 in a row.

hubedobeedo and bodymanbill like this.
  9. 8pack

Sent you an email...planning to go. Car goes into Elizabeth Auto on Thursday for AC repair!

10. 8pack

I got my fuel pressure gauge and I only had room for 2 gauges in the simple holder I had. Since I put the Gen 5 console in I needed to make a new carrier any way. Here is a 3 hole carrier. This is a mock up which I want to have 3D printed. Here's how I made it.

Explanation first, pics at bottom..

1. I needed to figure out how to make the carrier so it would fit in the little bin at the front of the console. I decided to make a mold of it. Crayola makes this modeling "clay" that is super light weight and air dries.I put a little oil on the console first so the clay would release when dry.

2. I got some hobby plywood at Michael's. I used the mold as a template and traced it out on the plywood. I used a scroll saw to cut it out.

3. I test fit the mock up piece and it needed a lot of trimming so I over trimmed it so there would be a gap. I took some wood filler epoxy putty made by jbweld and roles it into a rope and placed it on the bottom of the wood. I out Saran wrap around it and pressed it into place in the console so the epoxy would fill the gap and confirm to the shape.

4. After the putty was dry I smoothed out the front and back so it would lay flat and traced it onto a new piece of wood. I cut that out and then used a Dremel and drum sander to get it to final shape and fit.

5. I marked out the gauge holes and drilled them with a 2" hole saw which is 1/16th too small. I just used the drúm sander to open up the hole 1/32 all around. Everything fit great.

6. I needed a way to keep it from sliding in the tray. The way it fits in is there is a space in the dash behind the radio that is around 3/8 so the top of the carrier slides up into that gap. on the bottom there is a square hole in the console bin.

7. I used the wood epoxy putty to press it into the square hole in the console tray so it would act as a retaining tab. when it was dry I shaped and trimmed it and super glued it into position on the carrier.

8. To install it I just slide the top up into the slot between the dash and radio and then pull the bottom forward and let the epoxy peg drop into the hole in the console tray.

9. Now I have a good solid mock up and I am going to see if I can find someone to 3D print it. @bodymanbill has a son who might be able to give it a try so I will be giving him a ring!

IMG_20190929_190854.jpg

IMG_20190929_190839.jpg

IMG_20190929_190457.jpg

IMG_20190929_190445.jpg

IMG_20190929_190646.jpg

IMG_20190929_190605.jpg

IMG_20190929_190629.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    hubedobeedo and xten like this.