1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Made the kind of progress where there is not much to show in terms of PICS, but plenty of hours and money.....1

Since last post, first the spending money part......

• Serpentine Brackets went out for powder coat - Anthracite
    • Bell housing Went to Powder coat - Anthracite.
    • I put HOURS into trying to get my aluminum valve covers polished and finally gave up. They went out for gloss Black powder Coat. The guy there also does airbrushing and custom motorcycle paint so I am going to see about getting something simple painted on the valve covers too.
    • Rear and Fender went to Long Island for the Rebuild and fender repair. Long Drive.....
    • Ordered Car Stereo and power distribution blocks
    • Sorted out most of the under hood wiring but not the AC. I found one of my main power wires off the firewall has the covering cracked and pulled back....close call! Junkyard from here is going to send me a new main power harness with the set up for the CS alternator and a 4 gauge wire upgrade.
    • Ordered all the AC parts including a new condenser with Passenger side connections, Sanden compressor and all the rest of the necessary parts.
    • My clutch linkage was totally sloppy and shot, ordered new clutch linkage
    • Order New stainless brake lines for the front. BTW 15" are too short with the Stainless due to the way they are assembled. you really need 18". If you buy a standard kit you will get 15". Mine bound up at full steering lock.

Work that has been done.....
    • Sorted out my vacuum lines under the dash. Won't know if I have at all right until the AC goes back in so I am leaving the lower dash off.
    • Cleaned up a bunch of wiring while I was under the dash. Lots more to go.
    • Painted the Water pump.
    • Installed Steering Shaft.
    • Painted the suitcase clear finally, looks awesome - pic below.
    • Polished and clear coated my timing cover. and the front of my heads..not thrilled, followed the instructions for brushing it on but should have sprayed it. I tested on the suitcase first and it came out so well I thought it would go well on the cover....not so much. Most of it is covered by the Serpentine system so it will be OK, not great, but OK.
    • Took out stereo.
    • Managed to break the foot light on the drivers side, need a new or used one of those....
    • Cleaned and painted Front rear brake line and remounted it to the frame.

Additional work I decided to create for myself.
    • Need to check wiring to trunk for the AMPS. Power feeds are not in any shielding so I am nervous about those, need to get them covered up so I am going to pull up the carpets/interior.
    • I used Dynamat 20 years ago, but it still gets too hot in the cabin, going to add another layer of some type of reflective insulation.

Suticase...

[​IMG]

Frayed Covering on wire - Red wire on the lower left.

[​IMG]

Crappy Clear coat job.....too tired to fix it....hopefully wont be too noticeable when back together. The more I look at it the crazier it makes me, but I live down by the ocean so everything oxidizes very quickly... this is better than pitted aluminum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ezetorr37

ezetorr37 Veteran Member

Nice rear setup, I'm using the Eaton dif. too, what gears are you planning to use?

3. 8pack

3.73. Had them stock. Added the 5 sped to get some highway manners. Will be very nice with my 383 I think.

4. ezetorr37

ezetorr37 Veteran Member

Yep. Will be a lot of fun.

5. 8pack

New goodies. I have everything I need to start reassembling except the rear end and wiring harness. The goodies below pretty much close out what I need.

I did buy a new clutch linkage assembly as mine had slop. But there wasn't much improvement. I regret buying it as I have to pay a 20% restocking fee. I am going to take mine to a welding shop and have the holes closed up and re drilled. I will just buy the two arms I need for $40.

Wire looms, spark plug covers, flywheel and clutch plate bolts, brake lines, electrical junctions and new stereo! PLUS serpentine brackets, valve covers and bell housing powder coated! Powder coat heaven!

[​IMG]

6. 8pack

AAAARGH! I only had a little time today to work on the car and wanted to get the stainless front flex lines installed. They sent the wrong ones! Banjo/banjo Bolt is too big/wrong size....need to go back to inline tube....Maybe they will give me some quick turnaround so I can get the front brakes done next weekend.

On the plus side Junkyardz28find has almost completed my wire harness and fan set up. I have a 2 speed Lincoln Mark VIII fan with relays, a 2 port thermostat and an override switch....pic below...looks sweet to me...

[​IMG]

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nothing like getting new parts and putting them on the car.

8. 8pack

Super excited....I feel like I am coming down the home stretch although it never goes as fast as you think or like. For me having everything staged and ready to go feels like a big accomplishment because I can see in my head how it goes together....In the middle of the build it sometimes seems overwhelming to figure out how to get everything back together and what needs to happen to get there....I try to compartmentalize each of the key steps and line up the parts and time with each step.....having the parts there and ready helps....

Getting the wrong ones does not!:mad:

9. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I hear you, when you look at the entire project as a whole it can get frustrating and even discouraging so you have to break it apart into sub-projects. I actually created an action list of all the sub-projects I need to do (body wise anyway) and printed it out and taped it up in my garage. That way I will remain more focused and cross one small project off the list at a time.

10. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is looking great. Keep at it and before you know it, you will be finished and enjoying tearing up the streets.