1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very small update. . When I put the car back together 20 years ago the mirrors were never right. The drivers side mirror was always loose and passenger side wasn't seated right.

It took me a couple of hours mostly because the retaining bracket for the mirror fell in the door, but I had to swap out the plastic fitting that goes between the door and mirror. It seems they were backwards.

Ended up having to remove the right door panel to get the clip out. Now that is is off I found the dynamat is not stuck solidly to the door anymore. The adhesive is giving way. It looks like I need to get some spray adhesive or brush able contact cement and re apply the dynamat. The door is a bit rattley right now. Not loose parts, like a tin can. That means other panel needs to come off. I have a spare set I think in the attic. These were NOS when I got them and other than the chrome tape coming off the plastic strip, they are in excellenT shape. Was thinking of having the old ones re done by an upholstery shop with something a little more custom....need to noodle that. Maybe better to put it off as a future project.

Took a lot of experimenting to figure it out with swapping the backing plates and all, but the mirrors now fit better than they have since I got the car back 20 years ago. Nice little accomplishment.

Not much, but progress.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Even a little bit of progress is good! I went far too long without getting anything done on my project.

3. 8pack

Thanks for the encouragement!

4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, every small task you can do is one step closer to completion. I used to let the enormity of the project overwhelm me and then I decided to just do what I could and enjoy the process.

I also recently posted a to-do list in the garage so I could stay more focused. It has already helped.

5. 8pack

Ok, a little more progress today. Since I switched to the serpentine and the AC moved to the passenger side I needed to get a condenser with the connections on the passenger side. I got a universal parallel flow condenser from Classic Auto Air.

I had to fab up a way to mount it. I bought some aluminum angle bar and flat bar. The challenge is finding a place to screw into the condenser housing without puncturing it. You have to use 1/inch sheet metal screws with washers so the screws just grab the metal underneath enough to hold. The place to drill the pilot holes is less than 1/4" space without puncturing the condenser.

I used the original mounting locations and rubber isolaters. I am missing one isolater on the upper driver's side location and was trying to figure out how to macgyver something....

ALSO, picked up me rebuilt rear end and my Fender all repaired from Camaro-Chevelle! Now that I have that back I am hoping things move pretty quickly. I also got my brake line fittings from Inline Tube. I need to get it rolling again as hurricane season is ramping up and it will get flooded if I can't move it. Rear goes in tomorrow and maybe get wheels on it too......

Here is the condenser during fab and mounting...I have very limited metal working skills and tools so all done with a dremel and a drill press.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mocked Up

[​IMG]

Painted the brackets to blend and mounted...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. 8pack

Today I got the rear end up onto the springs. I didn't finish the full install as I found when I put the axles on there was zero end play. Going to order some thinner C clips to get it to ....005-.007.....

I finally got the motor off the stand...take a look at the pics below. That shows you what living near the ocean does to steel.....that was a brand new crank in November...rear mating surface of block was equally bad. I cleaned it up and fluid filmed it to keep it from rusting again....

I test fit the stainless works headers. I won't know until I put it in the car, but the headers look like they hang nicely, just barely below the oil pan. My super comps definitely hung lower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 8pack

Man this is moving slowly.....all I got done this weekend was is talking the flywheel and dialing in my bell housing which I THINK I got right. Going to do it once more to be sure.....

Waiting for my new c clips to finish the rear. They were supposedly sent last Monday but I did not get them yet. Bummed, I really wanted to button up the whole rear and brakes suspension etc. last weekend.

I made a punch a list of things to do in each part of the car and boy is there a lot to do .....I thought I would have it on the road this month......

I feel like I will be lucky to get there by next spring right now...I guess I am in that project blues period that it seems like everyone hits at some point...

Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now....

8. 8pack

Got my C clips to today to fix the end play in my new rear. YEAH! I ended up with the stock clip on the right axle. End play is .0045. Left axle needed a .143 C clip (stock is .148) which gave me .0065 end play on that side.

Big thanks to Tom's Differentials for providing their custom ground C clips. They are the only ones I could find that have them. Otherwise I would have had to have the axle ends ground.

I need to get this a roller. The huge rainstorm here in the Northeast flooded my garage, fortunately only 4 inches this time so the car was well clear. In Sandy it was underwater 5 feet......I will feel much better when I can roll it. Target is this weekend to get wheels on it.

9. 8pack

This is one frustrating hobby! 2 steps forward one back.............

First the progress, I finally got the engine in. I was going to lay the headers in first but actually forgot. I am glad I did actually. It took me literally less than 2 mins to get both headers up in from the bottom. They basically just slid right in. The passenger side could not go in with the starter on but that was the only complication. Pretty stoked! I remember when I put my hooker super comps in they were a real PITA....these are the Stainless Works Stainless Steel Headers. Now I can start working on getting the engine compartment together.

So engine is in and I am pretty excited because now I can get the transmission fitted and in. I took out the cross member Hurst Drivelines sent me and it is about 3 inches too wide and the mounting brackets are upside down even if it was the right width...AAAARGH. I hate stupid setbacks. I should have test fit it as soon as I got it. So now I have to wait until Tuesday to call them and get it sorted out. First the pics of that darn rear cross member.

See the mount is upside down, should sit on top of the frame rails....

[​IMG]

And now the other side showing how it is way to wide....

[​IMG]

Now my engine in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 8pack

Good day today but...

I got the serpentine system installed. Wow do those instructions stink! Some of the bolts you never use and the instructions has part numbers for items that are not there and there are bolts with item numbers that are not in the instructions. Took me most of the day to get it installed and figured out. There are so many red herrings in the instructions it is very confusing.

I would not use the torx head bolts again particularly on the Alternator bracket. That was a mistake. I would replace them with Grade 8 Bolts or Allem Head bolts and washers. When I went to torque them to spec the heads stripped out. No way that bracket is ever coming off without drilling out the bolt heads.

The belt is too short so I need to figure that out next.

Also got the power steering pump installed. All in all some good progress....

[​IMG]