1979 350 SBC Firing order

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by TDPalmer, Aug 28, 2011.

1. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    I bought a 1979 Z28 engine for my '81 and it did not have the boots on any of the spark plugs when I bought it. I printed off the '78 diagram here on NastyZ28 and some of the wires won't reach where they're sposta go, then I tried using my dad's 72 Cheyenne with a 350 for reference and it was completely different than what was on the diagram. I was wondering if the firing order is the same and if not what is the correct order?

Thanks,
    Dalton

2. deputyrob

deputyrob Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Canal Fulton Ohio
  3. retorq

retorq Veteran Member

May 13, 2003
    Kingman, AZ
    It's the same order, someone might have switched the #1 plug terminal on one of the engines ...

4. TDPalmer

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    Thanks for your quick replies!

How do I tell which one is the #1 terminal? I looked at the vacuum thing on each vehicle and they're both in the same position on the passenger side.

5. deputyrob

deputyrob Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Canal Fulton Ohio
    i assume its and hei ignition....number one wire is the second one clockwise from the flat portion that the wires plug into....hope that makes sense.

6. wild84

wild84 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Las Vegas, nv
    I disagree... The best way is to pull the number 1 plug, cover the hole with your thumb, have someone bump it over until you feel it blow your thumb off the hole. Then pull the cap off the distributor and see where the rotor is pointing. That is where the number 1 plug on the cap needs to be. If the rotor looks to be inbetween terminals, go back one (counterclockwise) and thats where the #1 wire should go (a sbc dizzy rotates clockwise). Mine happens to be the first one past the part where the wires plug into.

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Most repair manuals show the #1 terminal on a HEI distribtor as being the one that points to the #1 spark plug.

Use Wild84's proceedure to determine where the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is aligned to the zero on the timing tab. The rotor should be pointing towards #1 cylinder. IF it isn't, then I would pull the distributor out, move the oil pump driveshaft so that it is in the correct position, then re-install the distributor till the rotot points to the #1 spark plug.

Once all of the above is done, you can then put the spark plug wires on in the 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 (which is cast into all stock SBC intakes).

BTW, JD, our youngest son, could do all of the above when he was five (he's now 29 years old). He knew the firing order of a SBC when he was 3 and ALL of his girlfreinds had to know the firing order too in order to come into MY garage! LOL!

8. TDPalmer

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    Thanks for all your replies. It turns out I was confused by the Accel super coil on top, I thought it was an aftermarket distributor:screwup:... but after I removed the super coil to get better access to the plug wires the distributor underneath >looks< like the stock black one.

Which brings me to my next question:

When I pulled of the super coil nothing was hooked up, I found the manual online and plugged in the pins like it said, My car also has a red wire that attaches to a plug that goes into the super coil and it goes no where, and it also has 3 blackish grey wires that attach to the super coil and 2 go into the distributor and 1 is not attached to anything, is there any idea where these wires go?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

they go to the ignition module inside the distributor.. or at least they should..lol

10. TDPalmer

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    there was two pins that I connected to the distributor one was yellow and one was red, those wires plug into the part where I connected those pins into the distributor...so they go back into it?