1979 Camaro Z28 model

Discussion in 'Camaro Collectibles' started by eightyZ28, Mar 28, 2003.

1. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

I don't think you will see the early style second gens reissued from the AMT molds.AMT modified the molds to meet the current year changes made by Chevrolet from 73 to 73,74-75,and down the line til the new body style in 82.This is why there are reissues of the late second gens like 79-81.
    Just some FYI.

2. zzzzz28

zzzzz28 Veteran Member

I was at a car show yesterday in Wisc Dells, and found that same model. I was kind of half way looking for it. Snatched it up right away. I am the original owner of my 79z, and this will be the first model I have of that car. One note about the car show... approximately 800 - 900 cars, and I counted five 2nd gen camaros including mine.

------------------
    73 z28/rs turbo 400 survivor
    79 z28 4speed survivor
    96 firebird - daughter has at college
    01 Trans Am WS6 6speed

3. Tallguy2o0o

Tallguy2o0o Veteran Member

zzzzz28 there r never many 2nd gen camaro's at shows, it bites!

------------------
    1979 Z28 Lawn ornament soon to be a show car(in 2-3 years)
    1968 427/450 HP Yenko All Original Was Daddy's Toy now mine RIP dad.

4. superjudge916

superjudge916 Veteran Member

Just FYI....

The 79 Z28 kit is Rev/Mono number 85-2165, available at your friendly neighborhood hobby shop and just about anywhere else that carries plastic models. It's a reissue of their old Midnight Z kit fromt the 80's, except with new decals (blue or gold instead of orange).

Unfortunately there's no 74-77 kits out right now, although a Japanese company named Doyusha used to do a rather crude 1/24 slammer (no engine etc) of a 74 not long ago. And there is an internet resin company call Lookout(www.lookoutmodel.com) that is supposedly doing a '74 conversion kit for AMT's 70 kit, if that helps any...

5. Zboy28

Zboy28 New Member

All I have to say is e-bay!! I got that same model there and a 1-2/5 scale 1980 camaro di-cast metal one that is from 1980 very cool. e-bay almost always has them just to let some of you know.

6. william

william Veteran Member

Well, I would like this one for X-mas, since i can't play with my real one right now!!
    She's in storage for the winter months.

------------------
    It's all just a case of mind over matter, I don't mind cause nothing else matters.

7. PapaWheelie

PapaWheelie Veteran Member

I just finished building this kit last Monday and it's sitting on top my computer desk as I type. It is a dead ringer for my Z28 except without the N90 wheels (torqe-thrusts instead). The kit comes with blue and brown Z28 stripes as well as come other misc sponser decals.
    I bought the kit at Hobbytown in Oshkosh. I am sure that if you contact them they will order some and ship them to you. They are pretty good that way.
    E-mail Bill or Bob at
    hvfracing@aol.com or
    hobby@vbe.com

8. TorqueWrench

TorqueWrench New Member

looks cool

9. Mark Wright

Mark Wright 1979 Camaro Berlinetta

I bought one of these at a Hobby Lobby here in Georgia a while back of the 79 Z28 . I painted it Purple with dark Blue interior. Looks pretty cool. I opted for the street machine look but I didn't put those crappy decals on it except for the license plate. Really a great model.

10. william

william Veteran Member

Sugargirl bought the 79 model for my B-Day today, looks like it would be hard to remove the front spoiler to convert it to a 78Z.
    Is there 78 decals available anywhere?

------------------
    It's all just a case of mind over matter, I don't mind cause nothing else matters.