1979 wiper and washer issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by seventy7camaro, Jun 14, 2019.

1. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just installed a new windshield wiper transmission and washer pump into my '79. The transmission will operate at low and high speeds but the problem I'm having lies with the washer pump drive. Regardless of what I do, I cannot get the washer to quit pumping. It pumps at low and high speeds... whatever speed the transmission is running. This happens without even selecting the pump. If I do push the switch for the pump, it will start but will not stop on it's own. I have tried every combination for the wire plugs. I even pulled the dash bezel and tried a different switch with the same results. What am I missing?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Once the pump is started, the method of shutting it down is mechanical, not electrical. There is a solenoid inside the pump that activates it, but to shut it down again, it has to complete a mechanical cycle with a plastic gear inside it. If that hangs up, the pump keeps running. Pull the cover and study the mechanical part of it. You will see a round plastic gear that ratchets the pump itself. If that mechanism doesn't get back to the rest position, it won't stop pumping water.

hubedobeedo and bourbon_scotch like this.
  3. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The plastic gear is locked up. It looks like the shaft it sits on is bent. I have no movement at the gear or slotted pump shaft. Looks like a return trip to the parts place to return another part that doesn't work or fit. I hate to think of the trouble I'll have when I go searching for blades! Thanks Gary

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm really wondering wether to put mine back on or not after i fixed it. Gary is right it's all mechanical but its a dinasour and makes a lot of noise. It's like the steam locomotive of washer pumps. It would be so much easier to just put a newer type from a newer car in, with the little motor and impeller at the bottom of the reservoir. I see so many pics of camaros with their wiper motor and someone has taken the washer off and all that you see is the white plastic "gear" left sitting there and it's usually painted black lol.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

In 78, Camaros had the pump at the bottom of the reservoir.
    I swapped the motor, reservoir and pump from my old 78 into my 80 many years ago.